The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 17:33

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 23:32 
Bunny

Anyway, what I wanting to ask you guys is what is your top and or most convincing arguments and evidences for atheism (I'm mostly looking for philosophical evidences for thead since I'm posting in the intellectual section)

Let's see mine are the problem of evil and the lack of supernatural evidences.

Also here are some of the very good responses I got from the fine folks at Free Ratio and the Secular Cafe...

http://www.freeratio.org/showthread.php?t=282691

http://www.secularcafe.org/showthread.php?t=5520

But anyway I look foward to seeing your responses! Thank you for your time and take care. :popcorn:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 05:50 
Adherent

The problem of evil is probably what made me first conclude the indoctrination my parents and church were trying to drill into me wasn't correct. I just could not believe a god that cared about his creations would allow them to suffer so. And any god that didn't care about his creations enough to intervene in their suffering wasn't worthy of worship. Then there was the lack of evidence, certainly not of any interventionist god.

But, frankly, I don't have a decent argument and generally don't try to justify my lack of belief in the supernatural. If pressed I will say that I find it unnecessary to posit a god as an explanation for anything. Natural science gives plenty of explanation for why things are as they are, and where it lacks, we continue to gain knowledge as we seek it. I need no magick to explain anything.