The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 27 May 2020, 03:49

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008, 12:37 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

UPDATE: Couple Bit Child More Than 20 Times in Fatal Exorcism

By KENNETH DEAN

Tyler Telegraph, HENDERSON — They claim they were trying to drive the demons out of the 13-month-old, but law enforcement officers say the bottom line is a Rusk County couple bludgeoned the little girl to death with a hammer and other objects and bit her more than 20 times in the most grotesque murder the seasoned officers can remember.

Blaine Keith Milam, 19 and Jesseca Bain Carson, 18, both of Henderson, remain jailed on $2 million bonds each. They are charged with capital murder for the Tuesday morning death of Carson’s daughter Amora Bain Carson.

Lt. Reynold Humber said Rusk County Sheriff’s Office dispatchers received a 911 call from a home at 13717 County Road 2125 shortly after 10:35 Tuesday morning that a child was not breathing.

“When the first deputies arrived, Champion EMS was on the scene and they told the deputies the child was deceased and there were suspicious circumstances,” Humber said during a press conference Wednesday at the RSCO just moments after the couple was arraigned on the charges.

When the detectives entered the residence they found Amora on the floor in a bedroom and they immediately knew they had a homicide.

Humber said the couple told detectives multiple stories of how the child suffered the injuries, including a fabricated auto accident and then a story of how the child was attacked by the family’s dogs. The couple then told investigators they had left the child unattended and someone else must have gone into the home and harmed the child. Carson and Milam even said the child beat herself in the head with the hammer.

“They had multiple stories they went through before they told us they had beaten the child to death,” he said. “It is their version of the truth.”

Humber said the couple then told deputies the child was possessed and they were trying to rid her of demons.

An arrest affidavit states Milam performed an exorcism of the demons possessing their child. The affidavit continues to state after Milam killed the child with Carson looking on the couple “drove to Henderson to pawn some items to pay for an exorcism.”

Officials said Milam and Carson told detectives they decided to hire a priest after the exorcism went badly.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008, 12:38 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Murder Suspect Should Have Still Been Behind Bars
By KENNETH DEAN

Tyler Telegraph, HENDERSON -- The man charged with beating to death a toddler during an "exorcism" earlier this week in Rusk County was supposed to be behind bars at the time as part of a condition of probation for the second-degree felony criminal solicitation of a child.

According to court documents obtained by the Tyler Morning Telegraph, 19-year-old Blaine Milam was sentenced by State District Judge Clay Gossett to 180 days in jail as part of the probation conditions agreed upon on Aug. 22. That sentence, if followed, would have had Milam behind bars until February.

Those conditions also prohibited him from being around children except his own biological children or siblings.

Officials also confirmed that Milam had failed to register as a sex offender in Rusk County and had not changed his previous address from Longview.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 11:49 
Postess

Damn!
You need training &/or a license, background checks & psychological tests for so many things in this world...but not to have a child. Why? Is it not important enough?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 12:41 
Grand Poobah

How could they stop you?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 13:12 
Postess

It would be harsh, and people would probably not accept it...but I think there should be some form of population control. There should also be some sort of required training for would-be parents. You pass the course, you keep the kid. You don't...well, there are plenty of people who want kids & can't breed. Or maybe, mandatory child welfare visits to every new parent. Something that in someway makes a person prove they can be a fit parent.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 21:54 
Grand Poobah

Sounds like the basis for a sci fi movie to me!

Seriously, who gets to choose, then?

And more seriously, isn't that what the whole 'raising children to sexual maturity' parenting thing is about? You lose if they don't bear their own kids?

It's all too sad...

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008, 09:27 
Postess

Yeah, there have been quite a few movies & books based on the idea of population control limits or parental limits.
We have population control, to an extent, in China and I think it is a very possibly future when that becomes the norm. Even if it doesn't take into account the quality of parenting (which to me is important) the sheer #s of people being produced on a yearly-hell, a daily basis, is going to become overwhelming for our planet.
Of course, we may get to the point when we can ship 'em off-planet.

But on the topic over the quality of parenting, shouldn't there be more than just the ability to breed? I really don't think that breeding is a right, it's a responsibility & those that can't live up to the responsibility shouldn't breed. This applies to both men & women, there are far too many men these days who breed indiscriminately (did I spell that right?) with several women without taking any responsibility for their children. There are many women who can't handle the responsibility (typing out responsibility is hard :cheeky: ) of child-rearing...

Uh, maybe a sort of mandatory birth-control thing & limiting the # of children a person can produce.

I'm sorta scatter-brained right now, can't get all my thoughts together goodly...I just work up.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008, 10:18 
Grand Poobah

Quick answer before the comp goes off line for me---

all our genes care about is getting more RNA out there. We're just warm buckets of goo for the RNA to live in while trying to reproduce.

Personally, I wish we couldn't have kids, and needed a pill to do so... then there could be training and tests and help and aid to get the pill.

Optimally, an 'everyone passes... eventually type of system...

Having gone through infertility, I couldn't wish that scifi dilemma on anyone...