The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 27 May 2020, 04:54

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

Post subject: Might makes right
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2007, 07:33 
Postess

"Might makes right."

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one."

"The numbers are on our side."

"Majority rules."

Does it? Would you think that if "the one" was you? Or your child? Gandhi? Or how about Martin Luther King?
Majority rules helped further the Holocaust, the Inquisition & slavery.

A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2007, 09:13 
Neighbor of the Beast

These euphemisms are mostly excuses used by the victors to explain bad behavior. The first one should more appropriately (IMnsHO) be:

"Might makes Write" (As in I get to write the history)

If I were using the second statement to give comfort to myself for an act of self-sacrifice, I would tend to agree with it. If it is being used to deprive me of something against my will, then that is another story. So in the long run, it gets the defenestrated.

"Majority rules" is a maxim that must be applied for a democratic society to survive. Of course, it is hard to say whether that government form would be successful in the modern world...

Of course, the fact that the "majority rules" does not make it right. I seem to recall another little phrase my mother used to use (and yes, she actually said this) "If your friend jumps off a cliff are you going to do that too?"

"IF" I had a child and "IF" someone tried to do something to that child and "IF" they tried to justify themselves with such a statement, they had better hope that their "might" was mightier than mine....

Gangi-Gee and Martin Luther King can look after themselves.

I personally believe the Holocaust happened because it was done in such a way as to allow the "majority" to ignore that it was happening. But, then again, I continue (against all logic and evidence) to believe in the inherent goodness of mankind *insert insane laughter here*

The Inquisition I am not so sure was a majority thing so much as an excuse for the formation of lynch mobs and hysterical outbursts. The Catholic inquisition was more of a formalized brigandage, from what I understand.

Some forms of slavery are still accepted in our society. Usually when applied to criminals...