The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 27 May 2020, 03:51

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

Post subject: What is a community?
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 15:28 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Over here, dug_down_deep wrote (and what was commented on is important too):

dug_down_deep wrote:
Hex wrote:
dug_down_deep wrote:
There is no community of unified purpose. There is just a community. Most of that community predates TR. TR was established to serve that community something that it didn't already have. It already had RnR. What it didn't have was some of the old enforced civility of IIDB plus a bit of input into the running of the place. That's what TR was supposed to be. It's not that now.

So what defines the TR community then?

Well, that's my point. You can't define a community. You can only host it, serve it, and be part of it. Or kick it out, neglect it, and shun it. Whatever floats your boat, but then your community will be free to define you, too.

(TBH, I forgot the line of conversation, so I'm riffing off the quoted bit.)

Leading me to wonder why it seems so hard to pin down 'what a community is' or 'what constitutes a community', at least when it pertains to an internet forum?

Main Entry: com·mu·ni·ty
  • Pronunciation: \kə-ˈmyü-nə-tē\
  • Function: noun
  • Usage: often attributive
  • Etymology: Middle English comunete, from Anglo-French communité, from Latin communitat-, communitas, from communis
  • Date: 14th century
  • 1: a unified body of individuals: as
  • 1 a: state , commonwealth
  • 1 b: the people with common interests living in a particular area ; broadly : the area itself <the problems of a large community>
  • 1 c: an interacting population of various kinds of individuals (as species) in a common location
  • 1 d: a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society <a community of retired persons>
  • 1 e: a group linked by a common policy
  • 1 f: a body of persons or nations having a common history or common social, economic, and political interests <the international community>
  • 1 g: a body of persons of common and especially professional interests scattered through a larger society <the academic community>
  • 2: society at large
  • 3 a: joint ownership or participation <community of goods>
  • 3 b: common character : likeness <community of interests>
  • 3 c: social activity : fellowship
  • 3 d: a social state or condition

I've bolded a few of those that I think are particularly salient to the question, since some aspect of 'space' and 'location' really drop out of the equation when the internet becomes involved (though, of course, you can argue that in some cases space and economics can be limiting factors to getting to such an internet message board, so I propose they be discounted for the purposes of the discussion now).

Which of these do you think most important? (And, of course, why?)

Should more than one be important? Why?

(And, yes, I'll answer myself in a bit. Sort of pressed for time ATM ...)

Post subject: Re: What is a community?
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 04:37 
First Circle Initiate

I would say in the case in question it is a bit of 1f (common history and interests), 1g (some more specific common interests in the case of eg scientists and philosophers), 3b (a large proportion of us are sceptics), and 3c (which has built up as a result of the rest).

Post subject: Re: What is a community?
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 08:03 
Neighbor of the Beast

Ah, if only Lord Ix were here. He was contemplating writing his Thesis on the Geography of the Internet....

One does not need to have a physical continuity to form a community in the high tech age. The internet allows us to form "community" through communication, it's own form of proximity. I am not in a community of communication with the guys down the block, but I am in a community with lots of people in Tx.

At any rate, 1f and 3c strike me as the most pertinent here.