The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 27 May 2020, 03:11

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 12:09 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

NH is ‘freest’ state; NY offers the least

By PATRICIA DONOVAN

UB Reporter - Political scientists from UB and Texas State University have presented the first-ever comprehensive ranking of American states with regard to public policies affecting individual freedoms in the economic, social and personal spheres.

Jason Sorens, UB assistant professor of political science, and William P. Ruger, assistant professor of political science at Texas State, are the authors of “Freedom in the 50 States: An Index of Personal and Economic Freedom” (Mercatus Center at George Mason University, 2009).

It finds that the freest states in the country are New Hampshire, Colorado and South Dakota—all in a virtual tie for first place.

“All three of these states feature low taxes and government spending, and middling levels of regulation and paternalism,” Sorens says. “These were the criterion we weighted and used to ascertain an overall freedom ranking.”

The least-free state—by a considerable margin—is New York, he says, followed by New Jersey, Rhode Island, California and Maryland.

“On personal freedom alone, Alaska is the clear winner,” Sorens says, “while Maryland brings up the rear.”

Criteria for “economic freedom” include low taxes and government spending as a percentage of the economy, low prevalence of occupational licensing, strict rules preventing eminent-domain abuse and few regulations on health insurance and labor contracts.

States were given credit on “personal freedom” for decriminalizing marijuana, having fewer gun controls, having fewer regulations on home and private schools, permitting same-sex civil unions, abolishing “blue laws” on alcohol sales and having less-restrictive rules on smoking on private property, among other criteria.

Since Americans value all these freedoms differently, the authors have made the data and the study available to the public on their Web site, allowing people to create their own personalized rankings of the states.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 12:11 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

I find this aspect of variable freedom interesting ... And the link to the data looks pretty cool. The interactive GUI uses just simple slider-bars to make things more or less important ...

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 14:55 
First Circle Initiate

Interesting!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 11:06 
Grand Poobah

Since NY and CA are so low on that list, I'm wondering if mebe I don't like freedom?

:umm:

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 11:14 
First Circle Initiate

Go Colorado :salute:

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 06:56 
Neighbor of the Beast

The whole idea of "Freedom" is an illusion, when taken in the American context. A great deal of it means the "Freedom" to be cheated, or the "Freedom" to do whatever you want, regardless of how dangerous and rude it is to yourself and others. That sort of freedom is not necessarily conducive to a healthy community.

Jess, you don't dislike freedom. You just like to have the freedoms you value protected from those that would be abusive with their own sense of freedom. Comes from that sense of justice you have.

I feel the same way, though I have to admit, I also believe that freedom only works if people have the personal sense of responsibility that allows it to do so, and I DO NOT believe that for a second... (to many years watching people do stupid stuff)...

Hex wrote:
Criteria for “economic freedom” include low taxes and government spending as a percentage of the economy, low prevalence of occupational licensing, strict rules preventing eminent-domain abuse and few regulations on health insurance and labor contracts.

On this one, low taxes and spending is seen by many to mean "More money for me". My general response to this is WRONG. In some cases a person will find this advantageous, but generally it is so only for persons of affluence. The part that scares me is low prevalence of occupational licensing and few regulations of health insurance and labor contracts. The way i read that (agree or disagree) is any schmuck can practice (medicine, construction, mechanics, etc) and the insurance company/employer/union can screw me freely.

Hex wrote:
States were given credit on “personal freedom” for decriminalizing marijuana, having fewer gun controls, having fewer regulations on home and private schools, permitting same-sex civil unions, abolishing “blue laws” on alcohol sales and having less-restrictive rules on smoking on private property, among other criteria.

Fewer gun controls...decriminalization...same sex unions...blue laws...smoking rules...okay, I have no problems with this. Some of those fewer regulations on home and private schools however, I can see as a problem...all in all, these seem to be okay.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 09:49 
Grand Poobah

Pretty much exactly.

I look at the fact that in those things important to me personally, NY and CA seem to be the states that lead in them (short of certain rights like marriage for homosexuals and legal prostitution. Get off your ass, NY!).

I remember being shocked that Ohio still allows corporal punishment in public schools and does not require food workers to wear gloves.

If that is 'freedom', then I am happy to live in such a constricted state.

But yes, the hopeful libertarian in me agrees that there is no way a state can be free until it only has adults living in it. Adults being defined by the psychological definition of 'takes responsibility for his/her own actions.'

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2009, 06:49 
First Circle Initiate

Thats a pretty bitchin article hex

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2009, 10:01 
Postess

Oh great, NOW you tell me! :laughing1: