The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 04:30

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best Vampire Ever?
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 11:12 
Grand Poobah

ok, all the twilight stuff has me thinking about Bella and what's-his-face (not into Twilight) which is making me think of all those other vampires, and what they have going fro them and what they don't.

I mean, to *me* you say 'vampire' I think

and

First...

then I start thinking

then

and

before I ever even get to

I never even remember

and

(and those are my generation, so that's not it.)

So, who do you think of when you think 'vampire' and who is the 'best' one? Best being any number of things...

Post subject: Re: Best Vampire Ever?
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 08:56 
Second-Sight Apprentice

I get frustrated on a couple of things when they tell vampire stories. First they are most always rich, which I guess makes sense but for some reason it agitates me that every vampire sits in a castle or estate and drinks blood from crystal goblets. I also hate when they live on the blood of animals. The whole point to a vampire is drinking human blood as the curse. When you make the rich and moral they loose something to me. I most like the vampires of Near Dark.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Dark

They are a band of five that travel by Winnebago. Sleeping during the day and going into towns at night. Getting victim, living off the money they steal from who they kill. I guess my thought is if I were turned tomorrow what would I do. Move around and try not to get caught. Like evil gypsies. There are parts of the movie I hate but mostly it's a great update to an old story. (Lost Boys kinda fits here too)

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 09:18 
The Good Man of Nanking

The competing visions of vampires are: Vampire equals sexy and vampire equals bloodthirsty ravenous killing machine. Buffy and Angel managed to make them both.

That said, I think Dracula first and the Buffy character second. I'd be somewhere below Bunnicula before I got to the Twilight characters.

ROb

Naked Gun 2 1/2

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 09:55 
Grand Poobah

It seems to me that Twilight is all the angst of Buffy and Angel with non of the drama.

Like an Emo wannabe Angel...

But then. I haven't read it/ watched it. I'll watch it and then see.

But of course, I'm biased.

But then, I should be. BuffytVS was good.

OMG, I forgot about The Lost Boys! I went as Star for Halloween that year. :D I had the poster, but my dad lost it.

I think that must have started the modern craze!

Yeah, the rich vamp is such a cliche, and I am sooooo siiiiick of the 'moral vamp'. Yeah, sure, we have vegetarians and vegans in the real world, but for the most part, people eat meat. Vamps would as well. The ones who don't look at us like cattle are mentally unwell... ;) This in no way implies I think human vegetarians are mentally ill--- but then, our primary food nutritionally is not animals. ;)

Dracula 2000 was a pretty mediocre movie, In My Opinion, but they touched on the 'origin' of the original vampire, and it's pretty cool. If you have time to kill, it's not bad. And Nathan Fillon has a small role. /Whedon geek

Spoiler
Hidden: :
The first vamp was Judas, which is why crosses, holy water, silver bother him. I thought that was well done.

OMG! Adrian Pasdar is in Near Dark!!!!! I'll have to get it!!!