The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 22:43

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beowulf: the movie
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 22:20 
Grand Poobah

ok, we just saw it (go us!) adn I'd like to say, we have horrible taste in movies. I mean, we actually liked Spice World.

Beowulf strikes me as a knock off of that 80's movie, DragonSlayer. Now, I haven't read ther book in ages, but I'm sure it's not the story. I rememebr liking the story. I think it had a lot to do with the CGI effects. Or the fact the entire movie was CGI. (according to some reviews , it's a blend of live action and CGI. That would explain the occasional really good acting.) Makes it hard for the characters to have eye contact or emote at all. I thought one character was blind for a while, actually.

I also thought the first 15-20 minutes were an ad for the game.

And why they bothered making all the characters look like the actors do is beyond me. Call me silly, but if you are going to CGI a whole movie, please do something really special with it, not just make clunky imitations of people who are doing the voices.

I also expect people who are standing in the freezing rain to get wet. I know, I know, I'm being picky.

I also expect shots of full frontal nudity to include a penis. Well, if they are shots of men. (yes, I was staring there during the fight scene... Even Betty Boop had privates!)

The movie is by Gaiman (and Roger Avary), and I'm ashamed to admit to people as a result that I don't like it. I'm not impressed.

So--- as I said, I have shit taste in movies. Tell how much you all loved it!

(It does have a bit about how because of Christ we don't need heroes anymore---man has become his own monster.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007, 00:32 
First Circle Initiate

but neil is yummy... read his sandman stuff :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007, 11:27 
Grand Poobah

oh, I have. I've read American Gods as well, remember? And our boy has his own hardcover copy of Thw Wolves in the Walls...

While the 'story' wasn't 'great', I'm mainly complaining about the acting.

An aside:
Tao's latest siggy is: Men show their characters in nothing more clearly than in what they think laughable.
I was a little horrified that a character beating up a cripple for spilling the mead was considered raucously funny by the audience.

Between that and the mess on the floor (what, people don't pick up after themselves any more?) I don't feel like I've missed anythign by not seeing a movie since X-Men 2...

I :love4: our DVD projector + netflix!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007, 15:42 
First Circle Initiate

I normally like Neil Gaiman's work--a lot--but the trailers for Beowulf don't impress me. Maybe it's that I got real sick real fast of hearing about 300, and this just looks like more of the same.

--Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007, 16:27 
Grand Poobah

Never saw 300. Or any reviews.

Honestly, I learned about this movie because we were given free passes to the preview!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007, 18:35 
First Circle Initiate

jess wrote:
Never saw 300. Or any reviews.

Honestly, I learned about this movie because we were given free passes to the preview!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 300. yum. naked sweaty men :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 00:18 
Neighbor of the Beast

I take it you did not like 300?

As for me, I thought 300 was a fairly good movie, stayed close to the actual comic that was produced, both stylistically as well as story wise. They did give the Queen of Sparta a larger role.

The story was, of course, not based on anything approaching historical facts, but then it never claimed to be a history.

I suspect the Greeks of the time would have laughed uproariously at the concepts that the movie touted and then lynched the lot of them.

There were a few tech effects that I liked though. They put their CGI budget to much better use...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 09:06 
Grand Poobah

I will say that I thought the 3D dephth of field was interesting. The cheezy stuff was a bit too House of Wax for me.

That siad, it was interesting for me, as I do not have stereo vision normally, and it was interesting to see how my eyes/ brain compensated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 21:32 
Bunny

I haven't seen 'Beowulf' yet but I will once it comes out on DVD. I did just buy 'Beowulf and Grendel' which is quite good, and I doubt that 'Beowulf' could be better than that. I was somewhat disappointed with '300' mostly because I am a history buff and it was just too far removed from what really happened and the famous fighting style of the phalanx was not in evidence in the movie at all. Not cinematic enough, I suppose.

Julian

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 22:00 
Grand Poobah

Cool--- it'd be awesomne to hear your review!

I have notoriously bad taste in movies... as I said in the OP... ;)