The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 12 Jul 2020, 02:30

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010, 09:45 
'Lustrous Potentate

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100406/od_ ... y_vampires

Tue Apr 6, 1:30 pm ET

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) – A British university is to hold a conference on Vampires in an effort to counterbalance the "Americanization" of the fictional genre.

Delegates to the University of Hertfordshire's "Open Graves, Open Minds: Vampires and the Undead in Modern Culture" conference to be held on April 16-17 will have their food served to them out of coffins as part of a mission to encourage students of all ages to study literature.

English lecturer Sam George, who has just launched a Master of Arts degree in vampire fiction at Hertfordshire, said the most famous vampire narrative of all, Dracula, was written by Irishman Bram Stoker and set in London and Whitby in Yorkshire, but that now with the "Twilight" saga and "True Blood," modern vampires have become Americanized.

"It's amazing how many British actors have played Dracula on screen," George said in a statement on the university's website. "I aim to put the British vampire back on the map."

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 13:41 
Grand Poobah

Now, I love Stoker and Dracula, and he's still a Brit, but please give literary credit where it's due!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_William_Polidori

Quote:
John William Polidori (7 September 1795 – 24 August 1821) was an English writer and physician of Italian descent. He is known for his associations with the Romantic movement and credited by some as the creator of the vampire genre of fantasy fiction. His most successful work was the 1819 short story, The Vampyre, the first vampire story in English. Although originally and erroneously accredited to Lord Byron, both Byron and Polidori affirmed that the story is Polidori's.

And it's not like Vampires were a British folklore uniquely. Or even predominantly.

Jeez.

:cheeky:

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 13:57 
'Lustrous Potentate

I personally feel bad for the poor, unloved zombie. Vampires have all the sex appeal, and even werewolves have their admirers. Where is the zombie love?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 14:06 
Grand Poobah

I can't do it.

Hmmm...

I did realize recently that the current romantic love story with vamps and werewolves is pretty much the now passe romance novel cliche of 'taming the half breed' that's no longer PC.

Romance thrives on the power of love taming the wild beast. I just can't picture zombies in that role...

Maybe with zombie walks, that'll change?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 15:14 
'Lustrous Potentate

There's also the idea expressed in the OP about why teens particularly have gotten into the vampire thing.

Quote:
George said she is particularly interested in the new teen vampire narratives which act as a useful metaphor for wider teen anxieties about their bodies and the first stirrings of desire.

My guess is that zombies are seen more as mindless automata lacking passion, glamour and danger. Maybe this is an unexhumed grave ripe for digging, so to speak... :umm: