The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 12 Jul 2020, 00:49

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 09:58 
'Lustrous Potentate

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 67_pf.html

By Dana Milbank
Wednesday, April 14, 2010; A02

Quote:
World leaders arriving in Washington for President Obama's Nuclear Security Summit must have felt for a moment that they had instead been transported to Soviet-era Moscow.

They entered a capital that had become a military encampment, with camo-wearing military police in Humvees and enough Army vehicles to make it look like a May Day parade on New York Avenue, where a bicyclist was killed Monday by a National Guard truck.

In the middle of it all was Obama -- occupant of an office once informally known as "leader of the free world" -- putting on a clinic for some of the world's greatest dictators in how to circumvent a free press.

The only part of the summit, other than a post-meeting news conference, that was visible to the public was Obama's eight-minute opening statement, which ended with the words: "I'm going to ask that we take a few moments to allow the press to exit before our first session."

Reporters for foreign outlets, admitted for the first time to the White House press pool, got the impression that the vaunted American freedoms are not all they're cracked up to be.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 09:59 
'Lustrous Potentate

Obama has not held a full press conference since last July. I really don't understand his reluctance to be open with the media. It says something that China's Hu Jintao is more talkative with the press than is Obama.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 20:27 
Neighbor of the Beast

That is rather disturbing I must admit.

I have two questions. How much of it was a reluctance to face press, in this specific case? How much of it was an attempt to get these people to actually talk seriously?

I can see two reasons to block press, one possibly good, one all bad.

Possibly good: No press, no posturing, real progress...assuming you get real progress. Otherwise it is just bad.

All Bad: Gun shy about press bias. Understand it. Empathize with it. Still think it is a bad idea. Heat - Kitchen...

Just a few notes: Given the nature of the Summit and the number of world leaders, such a summit is a serious target, so it does not surprise me that they used Military personnel for security.

If you use the military for security, you are going to get camouflage uniforms. I believe BDU's are all camo nowadays, and you do not do duty in Class-A's except under the most specific circumstances: funerals, inside the actual building during a party, etc...

I can see why they would not want press present within the area, assuming that nuclear secrets were being discussed, but then, I do not think that the governments with those secrets would be willing to discuss them with "some of the world's greatest dictators."

Sometimes the minds of politicians are just scary...

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 08:59 
'Lustrous Potentate

It was in Obama's last press conference that he made the gaffe about the how the Cambridge police acted 'stupidly' when they arrested Henry Louis Gates, Jr. I have to think that this has made him gunshy about saying anything that the press will run with for weeks. Obama is hardly the only politician who is fanatical about controlling his image and message. Unfortunately we rely upon the media to keep us informed, and they can't do a proper job if they aren't given access.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 06:10 
Neighbor of the Beast

Very true.

And if he can't stand the heat, he needs to stay out of the kitchen.

That said, the media also needs to take responsibility for its failings as well. The age of the soundbyte and thirty second video are killing me...

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 07:39 
Grand Poobah

I remember once when my dad was listening to Rush and said 'shhhh--- I want to hear this sound bite!'

Dad, sound bites and bad things...