The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 22 Jul 2018, 20:54

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2011, 10:30 
Grand Poobah

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/books ... ErpGrpQJRA

Quote:
SOUTHPORT, Conn. — Long thought to have been burned the way the North set fire to the cotton at Tara, the final typescript of the last four chapters of Margaret Mitchell’s “Gone With the Wind” has turned up in the Pequot Library in this Yankee seaport town. If not quite a spoil of war, the manuscript is a relic of some publishing skirmishes, and it will go on exhibit starting on Saturday, before traveling to Atlanta, Mitchell’s hometown, in time for the 75th anniversary of the novel’s publication in June.
Enlarge This Image

Wendy Carlson for The New York Times
A page from the final draft of a latechapter of “Gone With the Wind.”
Enlarge This Image

The final sentences on the novel.
The chapters, which contain some of the novel’s most memorable lines — like, “My dear, I don’t give a damn” and “After all, tomorrow is another day” — were given to the Pequot in the early 1950s by George Brett Jr., the president of Macmillan, Mitchell’s publisher, and a longtime benefactor of the library. Some pages from the manuscript were actually displayed at the Pequot twice before — in a 1979 exhibition of Macmillan first editions, also donated by Mr. Brett, and in 1991 for a show honoring “Scarlett,” Alexandra Ripley’s authorized, if not very good, sequel to “Gone With the Wind.”

But Dan Snydacker, executive director of the library, said nobody back then paid the manuscript much attention or recognized its importance.

The pages went back into storage and resurfaced only in response to a query from Ellen F. Brown, who was working with her co-author, John Wiley Jr., on “Margaret Mitchell’s ‘Gone With the Wind’: A Bestseller’s Odyssey From Atlanta to Hollywood,” published in February by Taylor Trade Publishing. Ms. Brown was interested in the Brett collection at the Pequot and curious to know if any of the library’s many foreign editions of “Gone With the Wind,” yet another bequest, had inscriptions from the author to her publisher.

They do, but most, it turns out, are pretty tepid. For at least part of the time, the relationship between Mitchell and Brett was somewhat frosty, and why Brett had the manuscript in the first place remains a mystery.

The manuscript itself is remarkably clean, typed on a Royal portable with just a few handwritten corrections fixing a typo, adding a word or changing a “that” to a “which,” often incorrectly. That it’s in this condition suggests something about Mitchell’s perfectionist nature and something about the unusual way “Gone With the Wind” was written and published.

Mitchell worked on the novel, which was originally to be called either “Tomorrow Is Another Day” or “Tote the Weary Load,” in fits and starts from 1925 to 1935. She wrote on blank newsprint and composed the book out of order, beginning with the last chapter and picking up other sections as her mood suited her. The finished chapters she put in individual manila envelopes, sometimes with grocery lists scrawled on them, and stored in a closet. Very few people saw them or even knew what she was doing.

In April 1935, however, while on a scouting trip to Atlanta, Harold Latham, the editor in chief of Macmillan, somehow pried the pile of envelopes loose from Mitchell and sent them to New York for evaluation. Ms. Brown said the draft at that point was a mess, with some chapters missing and duplicate versions of others, and yet Macmillan reacted enthusiastically and decided, with unusual haste, to bring the novel out the following spring.

From August 1935 to January 1936, Mitchell, with the help of John Marsh, her second husband (and best man at her marriage to the first), and some hired typists and stenographers, essentially rewrote and retyped the entire book, cutting, refining, straightening out inconsistencies and fixing historical inaccuracies. Until fairly late in the process the heroine was called Pansy, and when Mitchell changed the name to Scarlett, thank goodness, she paid 50 cents an hour to have every page mentioning Pansy retyped.

As each chapter was finished, it was sent off to New York, and that typescript, with very few alterations, became the final text of the novel. The manuscript you would really like to see is that jumble of newsprint pages stuffed into envelopes — what Macmillan called “MS of the Old South” — but most of that was destroyed by Mitchell’s husband, following her instructions, after her death in 1949. Mitchell always insisted that books should be judged by their final versions, not their drafts, and had grown weary of people and institutions pestering her for manuscript pages to be kept as souvenirs or put on display.

Marsh also burned, or so it was thought, most of the final typescript. He kept back two chapters, 44 and 47, which, along with some of the earlier material, are now stored in a vault in Atlanta, to be opened only if a question ever arises about the authorship of “Gone With the Wind.”

So what was George Brett doing with the last four chapters? At one point he didn’t even know he had them. That was in 1936, when he wrote to Mitchell asking if he could have a couple of manuscript pages to display at The New York Times Book Fair that year. Mitchell wrote back, irritated, to say that the manuscript had never been returned to her. Abashed, Macmillan found it in a vault and, insuring it for $1,000, sent it all back, or so everyone believed until just recently.
Enlarge This Image

From left, Victoria Konopka, Dan Snydacker and Robyn Swan Filippone of the Pequot Library staff.
Mr. Snydacker said there were only a few explanations. Either Brett held onto part of the manuscript deliberately, or some of the chapters became separated (one of the pages, dusty and with a rusty paperclip mark, looks as if it had been stored on a windowsill somewhere), or Mitchell asked him to hold onto the chapters for safekeeping.

“It’s easy to give him the benefit of the doubt,” Joan Youngken, the guest curator of the Pequot exhibit, said. “If he kept it improperly, he wouldn’t be passing it along to a public library.”

Ms. Brown said: “I think those chapters must have been a gift. The story has always been that Mitchell and Brett didn’t get along because she felt he didn’t make a good enough deal for the movie rights. And it’s true that he didn’t. There are some angry letters, and there was a period when they weren’t speaking. But I’ve found plenty of evidence that by the end they had a very warm relationship.”

Carefully turning over the pages of the manuscript last week, Mr. Snydacker said: “I think it’s amazing that we have this. I love the book even though it’s inexcusably racist. It wasn’t written in the 1860s but the 1930s, for God’s sake. In some ways it’s pretty sympathetic to the K.K.K. But it’s a great work in spite of that. It’s a very powerful antiwar book, among other things. As a Vietnam vet, that part has always rung true to me, and I think that’s why it was so popular in Europe.”

He added: “No question, ‘Gone With the Wind’ is a part of the fabric of American life, and not just the movie, either. The book still sells something like 250,000 copies a year.”

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 04:23 
Adherent

<P>lmx coach outlet online My hermes bags scalp heat jerseys a north face first glance, almost in nike shop front michael jordan of straightener a charlotte hornets jerseys black gucci shoes man cheap oakley sunglasses to fight jets jerseys back beats by dre is crazy knife, cheap oakley all of a sudden lululemon australia it hit hollister online the lights into uggaustralia.com a adidas.se root, hermes belt immediately hermes extinguished, surrounded by rams jerseys a omega watches dark ray-ban sunglasses picture northface becomes, michael kors usa followed the north face by nike air max my hand watches canada was wrapped vans shoes around what to washington wizards jersey live, lululemon hard michael kors taschen to new orleans pelicans jersey twist new balance canada back, omega watches I long champ was supra footwear scared red bottom shoes completely toms outlet online lost mizuno wave the air jordan shoes ability ray bans to indiana pacers jersey think, michael kors outlet online howl adidas canada loudly, ugg boots exhausted ugg boots body mont blanc strength toms shoes outlet to think ralph lauren outlet over nike schoenen with prada a struggle, air max the body colts jerseys following toms shoes outlet a not orlando magic jersey completely texans jerseys click, beats headphones click barbour factory horny gucci uk roots adidas superstar I tory burch shoes sank prom dresses the christian louboutin shoes whole ferragamo person, michael kors canada and things puma outlet together dolphins jerseys behind broncos jerseys me jimmy choo shoes fell azcardinals jerseys into polo ralph lauren outlet a shallow prada outlet pit lakers jerseys inside.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I purses and handbags fall coach outlet store online at air max 2015 the adidas online same time, I michael kors outlet online sale heard free running someone nike mercurial vapor call burberry outlet online out: tiffany and co australia "You're tiffany and co a sacramento kings jersey Shuaigui!" rolex watches for sale Then the north face flashlight coach outlet store online lit oakley outlet up, louboutin shoes while tory burch firmly pressing cheap oakley my boots on sale boss Wang, marc by marc jacobs while ralph lauren shining michael kors canada his giants jerseys flashlight nike shoes into salomon schuhe my polo outlet store eyes shone almost michael kors blind levis jeans a. baseball jerseys I was rayban about nike outlet to 49ers jerseys hand tommy hilfiger to ralph lauren outlet cover, dumped mac makeup suddenly oakley vault gave steelers jerseys him huarache a slap new balance in gucci the kate spade outlet online face, prada sunglasses there is converse sneakers no strength ugg left, rolex watches my roshe run nose ray ban wayfarer is michael kors uk now oakley sunglasses a cold chanel bags start coach outlet online nosebleeds.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I kick toms outlet him gucci handbags after toms shoes he mcm handbags severely cheap michael kors scolded m a c cosmetics me a reloj few harrods london times, phoenix suns jersey and dallas mavericks jerseys said:. montre homme "You oakley sunglasses outlet a nike roshe Pujie the north face Aberdeen, prada shoes you lunette ray ban do abercrombie and fitch kids not coach outlet wanna ray ban outlet give you calvin klein underwear face, nike air max and nike air max I asics gel juggle ralph lauren outlet online fat nike schuhe guy, you go to hell."</P>
<P></P>
<P>I air jordan retro immediately nba jerseys realized ugg that glasses online it was all roshe run about golden state warriors jersey how nike free 5.0 his oakley mother ray ban sonnenbrillen to ray ban zonnebril death air jordan in Guangdong this mcm backpack outlet fat nike shoes actually has bengals jerseys the abercrombie guts valentino outlet to come wedding dresses secretly oakley sunglasses cheap to juicy couture handbags touch, look indoor soccer shoes at nike air force this ralph lauren person denver nuggets jerseys is ralph lauren polos probably handbags outlet not juicy couture outlet the new york knicks reaction oakley canada I north face backpacks thought barbour outlet I timberland outlet was ravens jerseys in yoga pants with hogan outlet him juggle, moncler mens jackets and oakley sunglasses I true religion jeans outlet taboo titans jerseys inside, bcbg max azria afraid air max to go michaelkors.com after me san antonio spurs jerseys with coach bags a word, did gucci mens shoes not air huarache even open the ghd flashlight, michael kors secretly redskins jerseys climbed rolex in, I ugg boots was polo ralph being burberry sale run michael kors outlet online into the reebok ghost swarovski dance ralph lauren listen to giuseppe shoes the ray ban outlet sound, beats headphones the result polo ralph lauren was nike tn almost the north face outlet counterassaulted baseball bats give wedding dress me northface a toms.com knife to gafas oakley do, jordan retro and vans outlet now probably Nike Shoes thought rolex watch I purses and handbags wanted air max schoenen to veneta kill oakley sunglasses he.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I ralph lauren polo would huarache like michael kors handbags to burberry outlet explain, but his coach factory outlet card with iphone 5s cases my vikings jerseys neck, asics I tommy hilfiger online could mcm backpack not jaguars jerseys speak. tiffany and co He seemed cleveland cavaliers unbearable michael kors handbags anger, but michael kors outlet also ugg a ray ban sunglasses slap burberry in the face www.tommyhilfiger.nl and ralph lauren hit michael kors outlet my ears marc by marc jacobs hum pandora charms is toms shoes heard, canada gooses outlet I chi hair suddenly ray bans fire dre beats from boston celtics jersey the nike free run heart, the coach factory heart memphis grizzlies jersey that longchamp taschen I fuck nike air max your replica watches grandmother, dare burberry outlet hit supra footwear shows burberry outlet online did not soccer shoes even look yoga pants at burberry outlet online me hollisterco as a person, immediately patriots jerseys on prada outlet a nike roshe hit in the houston rockets jerseys past, nike air max he mcm bags will hit polo ralph lauren outlet online a ed hardy clothing strong, michael kors two coach outlet online people christian louboutin shoes roll nike shoes outlet together, north face outlet you tory burch outlet blow christian louboutin my new balance foot, burberry handbags all jordan release dates 2015 of browns jerseys a nike.dk sudden tory burch the milwaukee bucks jersey coffin lululemon canada rolled zapatillas nike slit mcm backpack edge hollister of true religion jeans his replica watches strength than coach outlet store me, all nike shoes of abercrombie kids a abercrombie.com sudden they oklahoma city thunder jersey have the woolrich jackets upper burberry outlet hand, michael kors outlet online sale I atlanta hawks jerseys put fossil uhren pressure longchamp outlet on air max shoes the michael kors outlet body, I looked up hollister clothing store and louboutin wanted raiders jerseys to pinch nike air max the north face jackets result here too puma online short, oakley sungalsses outlet lift detroit pistons his coach purses outlet online head, uggs hit tiffany and co on swarovski jewelry one uggs outlet of swarovski online the roots, adidas superstar he coach outlet knocked new balance outlet the moment, nike air max 90 I suddenly gucci belts took pandora schmuck the eagles jerseys opportunity burberry sale to kick tiffany jewelry his polo ralph crotch ralph lauren outlet online at beats by dr dre the rayban top moncler outlet online of chanel sunglasses the he tommy hilfiger Dingfan out, michael kors bags then pandora canada rushed saints jerseys grabbed p90x his panthers jerseys flashlight ray ban occhiali into abercrombie fitch his wholesale clothing head that pandora moment, nike store he will coach outlet online hit timberland boots Mongolia swarovski australia in ralph lauren outlet the bottega veneta past.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I long champ pressed wedding dresses on bcbg max him michael kors bags to hogan see if burberry online shop he timberland shoes is ray ban wayfarer temporarily jordans unable to move, knockoff handbags use coach factory outlet a cheap nfl jerseys flashlight to minnesota timberwolves jersey shine brooklyn nets jerseys around and hollister clothing saw chargers jerseys this michael kors outlet bird nfl jerseys equipment bills jerseys and gun did hollister kids not toronto raptors jersey bring salvatore ferragamo in, ralph lauren outlet presumably nike roshe feel inside tommy hilfiger outlet stores too bears jerseys narrow ferragamo shoes escape instyler ionic styler fear falcons jerseys hurt michael kors v?skor yourself. iphone case I thomas sabo touch air max him, wanted tiffany und co to cheap true religion take his dagger, he would tommy hilfiger outlet suddenly toms shoes I katespade was gucci shoes outlet up michael kors outlet online one, converse shoes and pandora bracelet I uggaustralia.com like nike free 5.0 him, michael kors one philadelphia 76ers jerseys hit oakley vault the north face top, chanel handbags driven coco chanel to longchamp handbags see converse chucks stars, chiefs jerseys quickly burberry sale turn new balance to oakley sunglasses outlet one burberry outlet side, so chi flat iron give timberland femme him cheap coach purses the nike huarache top michael kors purses a nike.se bit. ray ban I cowboys jerseys have jimmy choo outlet brains out from uggs on sale the nose.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Wang longchamp outlet boss to oakley get babyliss pro up, swarovski crystal who seahawks jerseys are kate spade handbags all nike air max thea fine nfl jerseys roots celine bags and burberry outlet store must los angeles clippers jersey be buccaneers jerseys crushed fungi, ralph lauren factory store already portland trail blazers jersey angry canada gooses face uggs twisted up, ralph lauren outlet breathing hilfiger online shop heavily, louboutin shoes his ugg boots eyes adidas online are giuseppe zanotti sneakers red, I know cheap ray ban he coach outlet canada moved cheap basketball shoes Murder, roshe run like him michael kors outlet online sale that softball bats kinds of insanity workout calendar punks started adidas superstar to climb chicago bulls jersey step true religion outlet by ugg boots clearance step ugg australia to swarovski jewelry the gucci outlet people, coach factory to kill pandora certainly heavy, mcm backpack outlet and vans schuhe always nike shoes outlet wanted utah jazz jersey to lions jerseys kill glasses frames each other. converse outlet It michael kors seems packers jerseys this time, air max really thomas sabo uk want abercrombie a ray ban sunglasses outlet fight longchamp to nike free 5.0 the bitter.</P> bebe clothing

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 23:09 
Adherent

cc1229
cheap jordans free shipping
burberry handbags
ugg outlet store
polo ralph lauren outlet online
moncler outlet online
michael kors
michael kors outlet canada
valentino
ugg boots outlet