The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 22 Nov 2018, 06:28

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Who Watches ...
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 16:29 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

The Watchmen?

Post subject: Re: Who Watches ...
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 21:28 

I had heard that it was mainly going to focus on Rorschach, and I thought it could be doable. But that first trailer, it looks like they want to fit the whole story in the movie ...

Can they do it justice, or is it likely to be a hack job with expensive effects?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 12:36 

Theatrical trailer ...

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 12:47 
Grand Poobah

I think it's time to sell my mint hardback first edition.

That's what I think.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 13:22 
Grand Poobah

Aint it cool had this to say about the screenplay...

Quote:
The WATCHMEN draft ... was sent to me in the days following the SUPERMAN review by a close friend (thanks, by the way) who said, “You’re in a comic mood. Maybe this will interest you.” When I picked it up, I was downright nervous. I decided that I would read it and not judge it until the end. I held my breath and took the plunge. I figured I was in trouble...

... and instead, I was moved deeply. And surprised. I mean, David Hayter takes a lot of shit in this town. People say terrible things about him. I’ve heard them. I’ve heard people say he’s not a real writer. I’ve heard people piss all over his HULK draft or his work on X-MEN. I’ve never read anything that was just a David Hayter script before, though, so I haven’t had an opinion on him one way or another. I know the original WATCHMEN quite well, and I’m familiar with the Sam Hamm version that was commissioned in the early ‘90s. Still, I’d heard that Hayter had gone back to zero and started fresh, so when I picked up the draft dated 08/02/2002, I figured this was a chance, at last, to read something that was written entirely by him.

And I’ll admit... my hesitancy had to do with more than just Hayter. I mean, Terry Gilliam himself backed away from this material, saying he didn’t believe it could work as a feature film. He said that it might work if someone would give you ten hours for a cable mini-series, but that there was no way to condense it into something smaller. Gilliam is one of my very favorite filmmakers, period, so how could someone like Hayter, someone so unproven, ever hope to pull it off?

I had my answer within the first ten pages of the script. Hayter has done the unthinkable. He’s written the first comic book screenplay to treat its source material as literature, and he’s crafted this with all the care and complexity of end-of-the-year Oscar bait. This is an epic story about responsibility and mankind’s worst nature and hope, and in the shadow of September 11th, it feels more important than it ever has before. There are very few scripts that I read each year that I feel must be made, but this is a case where the genre is literally incomplete unless this film is brought to the screen as soon as possible. This isn’t just great film writing; it’s the very model for how to adapt something and preserve it intact while still making the hard choices that anyone faces when translating something from one media to another.

And on top of that, it happens to be the single most intense, bone-crunching, bad-ass superhero story I’ve read so far in screenplay format, and if filmed, it’s going to redefine what we’re allowed to do.

I'm in. I'll see it in the theater.

And, considering the last thing I say in the theater was Serenity, that's saying a bit.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2008, 09:38 
Neighbor of the Beast

Quote:
I had heard that it was mainly going to focus on Rorschach, and I thought it could be doable. But that first trailer, it looks like they want to fit the whole story in the movie ...

In a way, the graphic foes focus on Rorschach, since he is the thread that ties it all together. He is the motivator for almost all the action in the story.

They are not doing it all, though. I have heard that when they sat down to go over the timing, they realized that they needed to get rid of some stuff. The first thing they got rid of was the Black Ship sub-story that parallels the main story. Aside from being the most subtle part of the overall, it is also the most easily dispensed with since it is not really necessary for the overall plot.

The trailers do show the comic stand tho...