The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 21:33

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A public face ...
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 15:26 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Okay ...

So I just squandered 2 minutes of my 15 minutes of fame on an early-morning news show, explaining the history and symbolism of Halloween. Now, while I teach for (at leat part of) my living, I'm used to disseminating knowledge. But I'm not so usde to teh rapid-fire aspect of answering a journalist's questions - well knowing the time constraints they're under.

I admit it, I started off fine, but then felt ... :pale: ... a bit nervous ...

So ... What do people have as sugegstions for those of us who want to undertake a true, mass-media approach to expressing our knowledge and defusing misunderstanding people might have (preconceptions and all)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 17:24 
First Circle Initiate

I think a lot depends on a) what the message is that we're trying to get out (there are a lot of possibilities) and b) who we're trying to get it to. Making sure elementary-school children know that witches are neither wholly imaginary nor anything like the ones depicted in Disney movies is a much different task from reassuring Baptist parents that we're not out to brainwash their elementary-school children.

I think one of the biggest hurdles to overcome is figuring out how to raise the subject without looking like we're proselytizing Paganism or whining about being oppressed. Halloween is our big annual opportunity because it's the one time of year people expect to see or hear anything about witches, and even then, it's hard to get enough airtime or newspaper space to go much beyond a barebones contrast between the reality of our practices and the green-faced hags in the party decorations (or the sexy sorceresses in the movies, whichever image is more popular that year).

--Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 20:19 
Grand Poobah

I think it's important to be polite and well spoken and to look normal.

Too many Sybyls out there in long dresses.

When I was the token pagan on a hallowe'en radio show, They actually asked me what I was wearing (I was phoned in) and were dissapointed that I wasn't wearing all black...

In general, I don't know any tips for public speaking on TV or radio, other than to be clear, articulate well, and be well spoken...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 11:00 
First Circle Initiate

^ An excellent point. If we're ever going to be accepted into the mainstream, we have to look the part. Black cloaks and gaudy jewelry are great for drumming up publicity, but they won't do a thing to garner respect.

As something of a side note, I think it would be nice if there were more Pagan spokesmen. As sad and stupid as it is, we still live in a patriarchy, and things that men do are treated as more serious and worthy of consideration than things that only women do.

--Me