The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 23:14

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Taylor Swift
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 15:28 
Grand Poobah

ok, now people who know me know I love the New Yorker magazine, and respect it a great deal.

Recently, their music critic waxed poetic and hyperboblic about this young lady, Taylor Swift.

He compared her to the likes of Hank Williams, Prince, Elvis Costello, and Randy Newman.

This song in particular.

garnered a:

Quote:
“Our Song” was not Swift’s first hit, but it was the first to stop me in my tracks. It’s a breezy recounting of frustration, streaked with simple phrases so conversational that on first hearing they fly by without registering. For example: “He’s got a one-hand feel on the steering wheel, the other on my heart.” Not one hand here and another there; first comes a “one-hand feel,” and then the asymmetrical “hand”—on someone else’s heart, not his own. The song’s tension is that Swift and her man don’t have a song to call their own; its genius is that they never pick one—their romance is the song, and both characters get a chance to narrate. Swift, the writer, also gets to transubstantiate; their song is their life as she describes it. He says, “Our song is the slamming screen door, sneakin’ out late, tapping on your window.” She says, “Our song is the way he laughs, the first date, man, I didn’t kiss him, and I could have.” There may be two characters, but there’s only one songwriter, and this time the writer is keeping pretty august company: “And when I got home, before I said amen, asking God if he could play it again.” Life is their song, a lark in a car, with the Deity himself co-writing.

Now I like music. A lot. And I'm even ok with country, although I prefer bluegrass.

But this song? Yeah ok, it's decent. But only in a world of Budwiser and Miller would a LaBatt's like this stand out at all. In a world of decnet music, she'd hardly raise an eyebrow, let alone stop anyone in their tracks.

I have lost all faith in the New Yorker's music critic. I will read nothing else by him.

Just wanted to share.

(I don't mean to insult her--- I think she is a fine singer, just not a FINE singer... and NO WHERE near a Prince as a songwriter.)

Post subject: Re: Taylor Swift
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2008, 20:03 
The Good Man of Nanking

I find her palatable as a singer. A half-step above the banal, which is accomplishment enough these days but hardly places her in the categories that critic mentioned.

Now, if he'd been talking about Neko Case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nBt_e9tzdQ

or the Be Good Tanyas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNAFRg6jYA

I might have gone along with it. But Taylor Swift? Nope.

Rob

Naked Gun 2 1/2

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2008, 20:13 
Grand Poobah

yeah.

No comparison.

:D

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2008, 08:13 
The Good Man of Nanking

I adore the Be Good Tanyas -- they have a bonus track on their most recent CD that startled me when I heard what it was, considering that they're kindof roots/alt-country:

A remake of When Doves Cry.

Rob

Naked Gun 2 1/2

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2008, 09:53 
Grand Poobah

ah, but Prince is Prince.

There can be only one.

And Taylor Swift is not in his class...