The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 05:55

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 20:40 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Why Creation, the new Charles Darwin movie, needs to be shown in America

Creation, a film about the evolution of On the Origin of Species, is a period drama which will be released in Britain next week. The producers have so far been unable to secure a distribution deal in America. Why? For fear of offending creationists.

Jeremy Thomas, the producer of Creation said:

It is unbelievable to us that this is still a really hot potato in America. There’s still a great belief that He made the world in six days. It’s quite difficult for we in the UK to imagine religion in America. We live in a country which is no longer so religious. But in the US, outside of New York and LA, religion rules.

You only have to look at a book review posted last week on the popular Christian website movieguide.org to see why distributors would be reluctant to buy a film that depicts Darwin as a loving husband, a tactile father and a man glowing with integrity. Dr Ted Baehr writes: “Darwin’s Racists - Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow exposes the real Charles Darwin: a racist, a bigot and 1800’s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder”.

And creationists are no fringe sect of American society. A Gallup Poll found earlier this year that only 39 percent of Americans say they “believe in the theory of evolution”. Unbelievable isn’t it? But you can see why distributors wouldn’t want to offend almost half of the United States.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 02:12 
Guardian of the East

Many of these people likely belong to denominations whose leaders claim to have no problem with evolution. So why aren't their pastors preaching sermon after sermon after sermon on how creationism makes baby Jesus cry?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 15:29 
Second-Sight Apprentice

I just finished watching it. The book is almost a side theme. It is mostly about a husband, wife and family. There respect for each other and their children. It's sad that some many have to go one way or any other on the issue. I had never seen a reason not to believe that both evolution and god could coexist. It was a beautiful movie.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 00:44 
The Power to Scry

I have no reason to believe that creationists aren't idiots and shouldn't really be given the time of day. As to God co existing with science, well its never been at war with it, it just thinks it is. This is a battle being fought not on scientific grounds but in the philosophical world of ideas. Catholicism has little or no problem with evolution these days, as does the CoE, together they make up the vast majority of Christian believers, who the hell cares about a tiny minority of ever diminishing hicks really? Ignore them, like most trolls they'll get bored when they realise no one gives a fuck.

That's a general sentiment not related to this thread per se. I would like to see the film. Offending creationists is precisely why it should be released.

At your back
May the sun shine warm
upon your face
May the rain fall soft
upon your field,
And until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

"I apologise... For nothing!"

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 21:26 
Neighbor of the Beast

The Dagda, I wish that ignoring these sanctimonious prigs would make them go away. Alas I fear that this is not the case. Would it not be like ignoring the symptoms of hemorrhagic fever?

I do agree that the movie should be shown. Freedom of speech works both ways. This movie sounds like it would be quite useful in creating dialogue, though I am not sure it would be such a tame topic....

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2011, 12:43 
The Power to Scry

HavenMage wrote:
The Dagda, I wish that ignoring these sanctimonious prigs would make them go away. Alas I fear that this is not the case. Would it not be like ignoring the symptoms of hemorrhagic fever?

I do agree that the movie should be shown. Freedom of speech works both ways. This movie sounds like it would be quite useful in creating dialogue, though I am not sure it would be such a tame topic....

Yeah sadly you might be right, but they are powerful lobbyists you might want to ask yourself why less than 5% of your country has an extraordinary amount of say in its politics. If you really run a democracy and not a theocracy.

Over here religion is so far out of politics it couldn't get back in if Jesus himself turned up. :lol:

"With freedom of speech comes great responsibility, that's why most people fear it."

Sometimes some people just need to be shut the fuck up, because they add nothing to anything and are just taking up space. We get this, this is why Europe has a secular humanist agenda, no person or belief is exempt from the law, and no person or belief is able to be condemned. This applies to religion and atheism and paganism. This is much more realistic than letting rtards have a voice who rob other people of there basic rights just by saying what they say.

No freedom of speech without freedom from bigotry too, to accept a persons right to deny others rights is to deny their basic freedoms.

At your back
May the sun shine warm
upon your face
May the rain fall soft
upon your field,
And until we meet again.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011, 19:21 
Neighbor of the Beast

The Dagda wrote:
Yeah sadly you might be right, but they are powerful lobbyists you might want to ask yourself why less than 5% of your country has an extraordinary amount of say in its politics. If you really run a democracy and not a theocracy.

See that is the sad part. Some of the PTBs figured out Caesar was right. They feed the masses "Bread and Circuses", or in this case "Brewskis and reality TV" and 90% of America is content to sit back and do nothing more productive than complain. Sheep to be led to the slaughter so to speak.

Religion is just another symptom of that complacency in American life. Most people just sit back and let the religious minority tell them what is "real" and "true", it is easier than educating themselves, and these loud, obnoxious individuals must be on to something, I mean, they are so earnest...

Like the German populace in the 1930's? :dontknow:

I don't think it is quite that bad, that was the result of too much of the population believing the same propaganda. At least in this case, the religious nuts can't create a comprehensive coordinated front or we would be that Theocracy...

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2011, 18:43 
The Power to Scry

HavenMage wrote:
The Dagda wrote:

See that is the sad part. Some of the PTBs figured out Caesar was right. They feed the masses "Bread and Circuses", or in this case "Brewskis and reality TV" and 90% of America is content to sit back and do nothing more productive than complain. Sheep to be led to the slaughter so to speak.

Religion is just another symptom of that complacency in American life. Most people just sit back and let the religious minority tell them what is "real" and "true", it is easier than educating themselves, and these loud, obnoxious individuals must be on to something, I mean, they are so earnest...

Like the German populace in the 1930's? :dontknow:

I don't think it is quite that bad, that was the result of too much of the population believing the same propaganda. At least in this case, the religious nuts can't create a comprehensive coordinated front or we would be that Theocracy...

Also the Nazis didn't tend to respond nicely to people who spoke out against the system, who often "went missing". But I think there was a general feeling in Germany that the country was being ruined by foreigners, it's just mostly it was the Versailles treaty which had more than a little to do with their discontent and was frankly stupid and short sighted. Had Hitler stuck to just rebuilding Germany and focused more on the real enemies he probably would of been remembered as a hero.

Hitler was voted into power by the people, he then systematically dismantled the entire democratic process, as you say what is the USs excuse?

At your back
May the sun shine warm
upon your face
May the rain fall soft
upon your field,
And until we meet again.