The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 11 Aug 2020, 01:23

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 14:23 
'Lustrous Potentate

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100409/ap_ ... dopted_boy

By NATALIYA VASILYEVA and KRISTIN M. HALL, Associated Press Writers

Quote:
MOSCOW – A top Russian official demanded that all child adoptions by U.S. families be frozen Friday after a woman from Tennessee shipped her 7-year-old adopted Russian grandson on a one-way flight back to Moscow all alone.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the actions by the grandmother, Nancy Hansen of Shelbyville, "the last straw" in a string of U.S. adoptions gone wrong, including three in which Russian children had died in the United States. The cases have prompted outrage in Russia, where foreign adoption failures are reported with gusto.

Quote:
"This child is mentally unstable. He is violent and has severe psychopathic issues," the letter said. "I was lied to and misled by the Russian Orphanage workers and director regarding his mental stability and other issues.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 15:27 
Grand Poobah

:angryfire:

oh, that just hits my fucking buttons.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 17:10 
Neighbor of the Beast

Heh.

Mail order brides, mail order kids.

Maybe they should actually go there and meet them first

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 10:21 
'Lustrous Potentate

This story is "news" because it is unusual. Most international adoption outcomes are just fine. There is often an adjustment period, especially for older children, and children raised in orphanages often understandably have attachment and anger issues. This case sounds extreme, though. If the Russian agency really did mislead the family, then they share some of the blame. But you have to wonder whether the adoptive mother considered what effect her rejection might have on the child? There had to have been a better way to deal with the situation.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 10:11 
Second-Sight Apprentice

I can't think of why this women would go and adopt a high risk child then get upset there was a risk. Let's be frank, does anyone think the agency would be honest? Most people would assume a foreign child could have issues. American kids waiting to be adopted have issues. What if her own child was unstable? She could have taken steps to he this boy helped here and possibly stayed in his life. This just really upset me to no end. You have to really jump through hoops and pay out large sums to do a foreign adoption. How could she not know this might be possible?

All that said a committee of community members here has noted that once an adoption is complete there are no special services for adoptive kids and families. We think there are specific issues that kind of service could address.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 09:13 
'Lustrous Potentate

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/ap_ ... lhc3VzcGVu

Russia suspends all adoptions to US families

By NATALIYA VASILYEVA, Associated Press Writer

Quote:
MOSCOW – Russia has suspended all adoptions to U.S. families until the two countries can agree on procedures, the Foreign Ministry said Thursday — a week after an American woman sent her 7-year-old adopted son back to Russia on a plane by himself.

The boy's return — without supervision or explanation aside from a note he carried from his adoptive mother saying he had psychological problems — incensed Russian authorities and the public, and prompted aggressive media coverage of foreign adoptions.

A U.S. delegation will visit Moscow "in the next few days" to discuss a possible bilateral adoption agreement, ministry spokesman Andrei Nesterenko said.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 12:18 
Grand Poobah

I heard that.

Very sad. I know women I went through infertility with who very much love their children they adopted from Russia.

I wonder how this could have been prevented. If?

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 10:21 
Second-Sight Apprentice

Better parent screening. More open child history. Maybe they should have some mandatory follow up by either an adoption agency or DHHR.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 13:15 
Grand Poobah

It's so scary--- but then, the thousands of happy endings don't make the news...

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 14:51 
'Lustrous Potentate

jess wrote:
It's so scary--- but then, the thousands of happy endings don't make the news...

Exactly. And all the cases of birth parents abusing and abandoning their kids might get a passing mention in the local paper, but get no broader attention.

And those people don't have to go through all the paperwork and home studies and expense of convincing authorities that they are fit to be parents.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 08:29 
Second-Sight Apprentice

I miss Dave Thomas who founded Wendy's. He was an adopted and worked with families who wanted ot adopt. He was always so positive about it.