The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 18:00

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 14:07 
Grand Poobah

This song was on the XM and this one was on my brand new old CD of Nebraska (best Springsteen album ever and one of the most underrated albums of all time)

and while I appreciate it, I don't get the 'nothing feels better than blood-on-blood'.

Perhaps it's because my mom's sister was a Bitch and made my mom miserable, or because my dad's family and he never taolked so I didn't grow up with them, or because Hex's family are not people I'd hang with if it weren't for the blood connection...

Are there people for whom nothing does feel better than blood-on-blood? Or is that a myth, possibly genetic to keep the DNA going, possibly social, possibly xenophobic? Is it a small town thing and cities have too many other interactions to care about?

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 15:14 
First Circle Initiate

Nebraska is a great album.

I remember someone telling me that you are stuck with the family that you are born with, but that friends are the family that you pick.
That may have been my father who said that come to think of it.
He also told me that if you could count on 5 good friends then you were a very lucky person.

Given the dysfunctional nature of my birth family, I am very grateful for the marvelous family I have had with my wonderful lady-wife.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 21:57 
Garden Goddess

well I know nothing of the album in particular but I do like The Boss.

well as far as family goes, we have touched a bit about a few of my family members. Honestly there are a few I love deeply and even if they were not family we would be friends. Its a small percentage of them. The other 80%, if given by chance a random meeting would be folks I would not even run with. Not because they are bad apples, more so we have nothing in common. Then there is the 10% that are toxic in my opinion. So by blood we are all somewhat co-erced into these family "gatherings". I think now they are measure of my patience and code.....my uncle told me a year ago...'honey just do what I do, have 3 drinks before you go and it all be fine". LOL. Well I did and I was much more relaxed but my conscience was getting to me...as in...should I have to be anesthetized to put up with this? The answer would be Yes if I want to remain peaceful because there are few of them retards that can push my buttons unknowingly by their own ignorance and by the 4th button thats when my gloves come flying off and a verbal throw down ensues! I just end up looking argumentative when really it does not seem that way in my mind, more like informative...hows that for ego...... Honestly its hard to have an in depth conversation with folks that live in po-dunk small town and their scope of the world in general is limited to the county line.

Now my friends, well I LOVE my ya ya's and even though we dont gather near often enough, its always a good time and its all real, we can argue, bawl, and laugh till we piss our pants and its all goood!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 22:13 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Otter wrote:
...my uncle told me a year ago...'honey just do what I do, have 3 drinks before you go and it all be fine". LOL. Well I did and I was much more relaxed but my conscience was getting to me...as in...should I have to be anesthetized to put up with this?

:notworthy:

I sooooo understand this ... :nod: