The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 11 Aug 2020, 21:51

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

For discussions of Pagan community.

Post subject: 'Everyone's a pagan now'
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2009, 13:17 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

'Everyone's a pagan now'

The Guardian - Look out, here come the pagans. It's late May in central London and a man dressed as a tree, a witch in a velvet robe and a woman pretending to be a raven with a long black beak are dancing through the streets of Holborn, with several hundred others, moving to the rhythm of a dozen loud drums. They could wake the god of thunder with their noise but it's OK, the people at the back with the broadswords and shields are followers of Thor. This is a parade to celebrate pagan pride, and it would be wise not to get in the way.

"We are moving into a new time," says the leader, brandishing a huge set of antlers. "We are becoming more accepted. Paganism is reasserting itself."

Paganism is casting its spell over more people now than ever before in the modern age. There are said to be a quarter of a million practising pagans in this country, double the number of a decade ago.

That would make them more numerous than Buddhists (of which there are 144,500, according to the 2001 census) and almost as numerous as Jews (259,000) - and it doesn't even allow for the growing tribe of unofficial, instinctive pagans such as my friend Cath, who planned to celebrate the summer solstice in the early hours yesterday by "going out into the garden at dawn and just tuning in". At Stonehenge at least 30,000 people were expected to watch the sun rise in the company of the druids who see themselves as practising the ancient faith of pre-Christian Britain. For them, the sun is symbolic of one aspect of the "universal force which flows through the world and which can be encouraged to flow through us", according to Philip Carr-Gomm, founder of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids and author of the new Book of English Magic. The druids are only a small part of modern paganism, which encompasses a bewildering number of traditions or "paths", but central to them all is this idea of a divine force inherent in nature. It is an individualistic faith that encourages each person to respond in their own way, so you don't have to be a druid, or belong to any kind of order at all.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 07:42 
Neighbor of the Beast

Backlash against too many centuries of dogmatically enforced belief. They have always been there, just hidden and quiet, often unknown, perhaps even to themselves.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 14:28 
Grand Poobah

I have no source for this, except my mom, and that's not reliable...

but my mom said that Carl Jung predicted that there'd be a surge in witchcraft in the early 21st century...

followed by another witch hunt.

I'm sort of braced... but too comfortable to be careful...

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 16:41 
Neophyte

People are simply realizing how ridiculous Christianity and other Jewish religions are. Islam, Christianity, Judaism... they all preach doctrines of stupidity and evil (stupidity is a minor evil in my opinion). But people aren't willing to accept atheism either. They recognize that existence is all too perfect to just be coincidental. But what then? We must have SOMETHING, some higher being, but it's not a "jealous god" in the sky, who snaps his fingers and defies Nature, and bitches when we do something his way. Their only answer is paganism. Hail Ziu!

-Thorn

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 21:05 
Acolyte

Paganism isn't an answer and paganism isn't singular.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 03:33 
The Power to Scry

Thorn wrote:
People are simply realizing how ridiculous Christianity and other Jewish religions are. Islam, Christianity, Judaism... they all preach doctrines of stupidity and evil (stupidity is a minor evil in my opinion). But people aren't willing to accept atheism either. They recognize that existence is all too perfect to just be coincidental. But what then? We must have SOMETHING, some higher being, but it's not a "jealous god" in the sky, who snaps his fingers and defies Nature, and bitches when we do something his way. Their only answer is paganism. Hail Ziu!

-Thorn

I don't need anything except logic and reason. :)

At your back
May the sun shine warm
upon your face
May the rain fall soft
upon your field,
And until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

"I apologise... For nothing!"

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 12:30 
Grand Poobah

For people who need a sky daddy, paganism works well. Better than the big three, as it makes more sense.

For people who like ritual and pomp, paganism works well.

I think you can be a secular pagan. For the most part I am.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 14:00 
'Lustrous Potentate

Judaism was polytheistic before it was monotheistic.

The problem, in my view, is twofold:

1. People who think they have direct access to "Truth" on the basis of unprovable, untestable, unverifiable claims and on authority.

2. People who think that this means they can tell other people how to conduct their lives.

Those two things lead to a fundamentalist, authoritarian mindset regardless of the base culture or religion. There are fundamentalist Hindus who are just as violent as Islamists.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 14:03 
Grand Poobah

I've met plenty of Wiccans who would be happy to persecute Christians if they had the power.

Fundamentalism is the scariest thing.

And yeah, I'm reading up on pre David Israel right now. people really don't like remembering that the Jews were pretty polytheistic. :roll: