The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 01:09

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

For discussions of Pagan community.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 17:23 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Wicca Attempts to Control Life

by Kevin Roeten

January 17, 2008 01:00 PM EST

Many question whether Wicca is even a religion. The various traditions of Wicca are allegedly part of the neopagan group of earth-based religions. This is quite a contrast to those who believe in the only person to rise from the dead. In fact, it’s the only religion where the followers actually admit that even though they won’t believe Christianity, they cannot disprove the historical reports.

The origins of Wicca come from Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant. It is widely believed than Wicca theology started around the 1920’s. It seems as though Wicca is a variety of witchcraft founded on religious and magical concepts.

The word Wica referred to adherents of the tradition of witchcraft. The word seems to be based on the Old English word Wicca. Wicca and its feminine form wice, are predecessors of the modern English witch.

In general, Wicca’s are ambiguous about an afterlife, believe in the possibility of reincarnation, reject heaven and hell, in monotheism or polytheism, that any deity is largely unknowable, the ability to cast magic and spells, and have personal rituals for themselves or their coven to recognize any ‘life’ passage or any combination thereof.

But benign is not a good description of Wicca. Their attacks on any form of Christianity seem to be a must. They insist on the equality of men and women and accept any sexual orientation, and possibly species variation. It’s amazing how gender equality has always been a mainstay of any Christianity, but Wicca plays up perceived differences. A Wicca can allegedly cast any ‘love’ spell at will.

They insist that all Christianity is male dominated. It’s interesting in Christianity the most powerful saint is a woman—the Virgin Mary. They believe Christianity has a negative and restrictive view of sexual behavior. Maybe they forgot God telling all the peoples to “Go out and be fruitful”.

They seem to view time as cyclical, but do not seem to conceive the concept of a ‘begotten’ God, while time is only a linear dimension for humans. Wicca seems to be an oral tradition, and rejects the Bible as a guide. They seem to be close to nature but have forgotten where nature comes from.

They think anyone can discover God on their own. One can do this by themselves, but how are they going to know what ‘interpretation’ is correct? Everyone knows that humans (by themselves) develop multiple interpretations of anything.

God is good, but He allows suffering because He allows a free will. They believe that the Bible is a loose translation of ancient myths, but almost every historic account verifies that Jesus existed and rose from the dead. And no Christian religion ever advocated slavery and the subjugation of women. You’ll have to look to Islam for that.

(From: TheConservativeVoice.com)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 10:57 
Neighbor of the Beast

I think I had a few choice comments about the nature of just about every paragraph. And I am not a Wiccan! As opposed to being one of them there Wicca's.

Sigh.

At least it is an editorial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 12:01 
Grand Poobah

Gah! It seems like incoherent ramblings.

I just know there are people nodding along saying how right he is, though.

Too many people believe it's in print, it must be true!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2008, 20:09 
Garden Goddess

I smell essence of flower-hole......he is just rambling his "opinion"....and he has that right, but it doesn’‘t mean he is right. Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2008, 22:45 
Grand Poobah

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Within reason, of course. I mean, as nice as it is to say and to appear tolerant and openminded, some opinions are just not worth as much as others. His opinion In My Opinion is one of them. It’‘s based on misconceptiona dn a belief that he is right (the ‘‘many people don’‘t think Wicca is a religion’‘? The US government accepts it!) Wicca’‘s (tm) apparently like bestiality? hurm--- not a fact nor an opinion--- that’‘s more of an insult, straight out. An opinion is a good opinion if it is based on facts and information, and if that opinion can be changed if the facts and information that went into making that opinion are changed or discovered to be false. Otherwise, it’‘s less of an opinion and more of a bias. At least, in my opinion... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2008, 22:51 

[quote4b="jess"]Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Within reason, of course. ... An opinion is a good opinion if it is based on facts and information, and if that opinion can be changed if the facts and information that went into making that opinion are changed or discovered to be false. Otherwise, it’‘s less of an opinion and more of a bias. At least, in my opinion... ;)[/quote4b] Well ... Opinions are very personal. I agree that good ones are based on facts and reasoning, but people have opinions based on just ‘‘a feeling’‘ or ‘‘what makes sense to them’‘ rather than facts. And for those people, their opinions are valid - for them anyhow. Perhaps it’‘s why so many people are reluctant to give their opinions; they know they’‘ll get blasted with facts and made to look the fool? :dontknow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2008, 23:08 
Grand Poobah

I disagree--- some opinions are simply wrong and should be stopped. Like: Jews should be wiped out. Anyone want to defend that one? Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2008, 01:38 
Garden Goddess

hex, another one? I’‘ll take this as a hint to tone down my potty mouth. Jess....well said!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2008, 01:48 
Garden Goddess

I went back to read it again....... :angryfire: I still think his ramblings are essence of :pottytrain2: and not :toothy4:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2008, 16:03 
Grand Poobah

Hex was bored. A man who is bored is a dangerous thing. LOL. Made for an interesting read, though--- I really wondered what ‘‘essence of flower’‘ was... now, I’‘d like it if his kind came here so we could chat with them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2008, 17:47 

[quote14="Otter"]hex, another one? I’‘ll take this as a hint to tone down my potty mouth.[/quote14] :eek: Don’‘t you [b14]DARE[/b14]! Granted, I was just playing with the a-s-s-hole to flower one ... But the c-r-a-p to s-h-i-t one is there (at least partially ‘‘cause it’‘s funny, but moreover) to make sure we don’‘t take ourselves so serious ... :D

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 15:19 
Bunny

That article is so cliche. They've had over fifty years to come up with new arguments against Wicca, yet it's always the same that comes back to the premise that Wicca is really about attacking Christianity and is more sinister than it appears. Just to address some of the "finer" points from the article:

Quote:
In general, Wicca’s are ambiguous about an afterlife,

No, Wiccans are not "ambiguous about an afterlife.

Quote:
believe in the possibility of reincarnation,

No, we believe in reincarnation. Period. Same way Christians have faith that when they die they're going to heaven.

Quote:
reject heaven and hell,

True.

Quote:
in monotheism or polytheism, that any deity is largely unknowable,

Most Wiccans describe their views on a higher power as polytheistic in nature. And most religions believe that even though they can communicate with their deity, that the deities are a mystery to everyone.

Quote:
the ability to cast magic and spells,

yes

Quote:
and have personal rituals for themselves or their coven to recognize any ‘life’ passage or any combination thereof.

I'm not sure why the author decided to place the word "life" in quotation marks. Rituals are conducted on the Sabbats (holidays) and Esbats (Full Moons, sometimes New Moons as well). We also have Wiccannings for babies, Handfastings for weddings and Requiems for deaths. Not really much different than any other religion that celebrates these important life events.

Quote:
But benign is not a good description of Wicca.

I wonder how many violent, Wiccan criminals this author has known.

Quote:
Their attacks on any form of Christianity seem to be a must.

Most Wiccans keep to themselves. The only time we may get heated is when we're approached by a Christian and called a devil worshiper.

Quote:
They insist on the equality of men and women

Oh Lady and Lord forbid anyone insist upon equality and fair treatment! I guess requesting for equality is a direct affront to Christianity.

Quote:
and accept any sexual orientation

So because Christians have deemed gays and lesbians less than human beings and most churches will not accept them in their congregations, all other religions are supposed to follow suit, lest they should be labeled dangerous?

Quote:
and possibly species variation.

That is a disgusting slander against Wicca.

Quote:
It’s amazing how gender equality has always been a mainstay of any Christianity,

The Bible (and many fundamentalist churches in America) disagree with this.

Quote:
but Wicca plays up perceived differences.

Wicca utilizes the powerful masculine and feminine aspects in all living things and draws on that energy to achieve a specific goal. It's obvious there are difference physical traits between men and women; however, most covens offer equal opportunity for men and women to participate in ritual.

Quote:
A Wicca can allegedly cast any ‘love’ spell at will.

Huh?

Quote:
They insist that all Christianity is male dominated.

ALL Abrahamic religious sects are patriarchal in nature. The clergy is predominantly comprised of men. The Bible speaks clearly that the man is a woman's spiritual leader. The God of Judeo-Christianity is perceived as male in gender (Father God, our Heavenly Father, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, etc.). How can anyone claim Christianity is not a patriarchal religion, for the most part?

Quote:
They believe Christianity has a negative and restrictive view of sexual behavior. Maybe they forgot God telling all the peoples to “Go out and be fruitful”.

I, personally, believe that some of the world's biggest sexual perverts are the product of strict Abrahamic religious indoctrination. From the time they are young they are taught to never "abuse" their genitals, that nudity for the sake of being naked is sinful, that it's a woman's fault if she shows to much skin and a man lusts after her, that being aroused by a woman prior to marriage is the same thing as cheating on your wife, etc. We have a healthy view of sex - one that understands people of the opposite sex can be around one another in the nude and not become aroused. That sex is a healthy expression of love and commitment. That sex is an energy raising experience. That sex should never be deemed a chore, obligation or marital duty.

Quote:
One can do this by themselves, but how are they going to know what ‘interpretation’ is correct? Everyone knows that humans (by themselves) develop multiple interpretations of anything.

:imeter:

Quote:
And no Christian religion ever advocated slavery and the subjugation of women. You’ll have to look to Islam for that.

That's really amusing because I've found that most of your conservative, fundamentalist Christians are very similar to conservative, fundamentalist Muslims.

Last edited by Hex on 21 Jun 2008, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Tag fix - quoet -> quote

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 22:31 
Grand Poobah

Welcome Bennalaya!

Please, don't mince words. Tell us how you really feel!

I hope you like it here...

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2008, 23:45 
Bunny

jess wrote:
Welcome Bennalaya!

Please, don't mince words. Tell us how you really feel!

I hope you like it here...

LOL I usually try and take the direct approach ;) And thank you for the warm welcome.