The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 07 Apr 2020, 07:59

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2007, 10:31 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Revealed: What IS the secret of Silbury Hill?

Pagan burial site? Too boring. UFO landing pad? Too bonkers. So what IS the secret of Silbury Hill? Terry the Druid reveals all

Can there be anything more po-faced than a health and safety briefing?

We are about to enter some rather iffy tunnels dug into Silbury Hill, in Wiltshire, a 4,400-year-old man-made pyramid constructed entirely from chalk.

It will be wet, dark and nasty in there, so we need to take precautions. There is talk of wearing hard hats, stout footwear and highvisibility jackets.

But what makes our briefing slightly less catatonic than the average health and safety lecture is the presence of Terry Dobney.

He looks, well, different from the other officials.

For a start, he is wearing a long white robe.

And he sports facial hair of Biblical proportions.

He is carrying a piece of antler, and a long wooden staff with a crystal in the top.

Terry, you see, is an official site druid. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have to wear a hard hat like everyone else.

The hill is actually a truncated grasscovered pyramid about 120ft high and more than 600ft across, weighing an estimated half a million tonnes.

Silbury, just south of Avebury, took more than 100 years to build and work began, according to the radiometric dating that has been carried out on bits of vegetation and other material recovered from its innards, about 4,400 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2007, 11:01 
Grand Poobah

I think this is really an interesting look into some modern pagans, and the ones we hope to attract.

From the article:
Quote:
When I asked him about his beliefs, I was expecting the usual stream of New Age gibberish; what I got surprised me.

Terry the Druid does not believe in God, nor even in the gods.

"There is a lot of debate in the pagan community," he says. "Some of them work with gods and goddesses.

"I take a Dawkins view of the world."

What, Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist, arch-atheist and scourge of believers of all shades? Surely not.

"Yes, him. I agree with him totally; evolution and all that."

So you don't worship gods and spirits and things?

"If I worship anything, I worship the Earth," Terry says firmly.

This bit is plain funny...

What about virgin sacrifices, I ask.

Surely you have those?

"Nope, can't find any virgins."