The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 11 Aug 2020, 17:39

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solitary celebrating
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 06:34 
Postess

I used to be part of a very large group & for years many of us would get together to celebrate Sabbats. But no more, I've been solitary/isolated for a very long time now & it just doesn't have the same feel celebrating by my lonesome :( so I haven't done anything for years. Holidays, any holidays, are now just another day for me. It's seems so easy to just slip into a mundane/secular lifestyle.

Maybe this should go in Radegast instead...I dunno.

Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask, 'Why me?' Then a voice answers, 'Nothing personal; your name just happened to come up.'"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 08:36 
Neighbor of the Beast

I empathize with you there. Solo celebrations are a bummer. I feel that you need at least one other person to share the celebration with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 08:39 
Postess

Celebrating solo is like drinking alone :(

Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask, 'Why me?' Then a voice answers, 'Nothing personal; your name just happened to come up.'"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 09:21 
Grand Poobah

I understand.

But on some level, there's always a good reason not to celebrate (for us, even as a couple, it was not having children).

I think making an effort to celebrate is a healthy thing to do. Even if it's just treating yourself to dinner and thinking about what's going on.

Another option may be to throw a party yourself,a nd invite open minded people.

Barring that, Yule out here is kinda busy, but y'all welcome! We also tend to do a Lupercalia/Candlemas/Imbolic cheese buffet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 10:51 
First Circle Initiate

Tao of Pooh wrote:
Celebrating solo is like drinking alone :(

I like to drink alone :pottytrain4: (lol I love these smileys.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 10:53 
Grand Poobah

On some level, if you insist on celebrating skyclad (naked for those not in the know), and you are really really shy...

solitary is the way to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 12:26 
First Circle Initiate

As a Pagan, I am a solitary, but as a person, I am not. I have two roommates--my sister and her husband--and several good friends, and they all know I am Pagan, so I can have social Sabbat feasts if schedules permit. If they think my reasons for throwing these dinners is "weird," they keep it to themselves...because honestly, if someone is offering you free food, who cares why they're doing it?

I'm not really that big on stuffy formal rituals, so my solitary celebrations are short and to the point: light some appropriate incense and maybe a candle, meditate for a few minutes on the meaning of the Sabbat, and then get back to business. Anything more elaborate I might do would be overkill. I already keep my altar decorated in accordance with the season, year-round, and I observe Nature every morning and evening during the walking parts of my commute. I don't need to remind myself what time of year it is.

--Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 13:16 
Garden Goddess

Mine are somewhat on the lines of Karalora....for simplicty
I will invite folks over during the Sabbats for the good cumpny :D and during the process celebrating and extending the energy to them....unbeknownest (sp) to them. If they are in the "know" then those friends just know, but because we are usually in mixed cumpny we keep it to ourselves, and discuss somewhere else in the house, say the living room vs. dining room.
And we dont do the slyclad! :wink:

As far as the upcoming Sabbat......candle, incense, good food, few friends over and I will be making my 1st ever attempt to build a cornhusk doll with the kids, its my way of introducing the celebration on their level.
I am not sure if my altar would even qualify as such....its more of a space where I do my "blessings" and change it up accordingly. So for me its an altar but those that frequent my home haven't the foggiest idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008, 21:30 
Grand Poobah

If 'to you' it's an altar, then it's an altar. ;)

We do cornhusk dolls every year for Lammas (August 2). We burn the previous years in a fire while we're making the new ones. They are fun, but beyond out 4yo... he helps a little and gets bored. Then he colors or journals while we finish up.

But he loves eating the corn!