The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 22:17

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2008, 21:43 
Grand Poobah

ok, easter/the equinox sucked for us--- we never even got around to decorating really. Just too busy. :(

so, let's get started on Beltane!

All we really do is make honey cookies (cut out int he shape of skeps and bees no less!) and Gulab Jamun. Sometimes I make lamb or beef, but we don't have much of a trasition for this holiday...

any advice? What do you do?

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008, 09:29 
First Circle Initiate

I set up my personal altar with a lavish floral centerpiece that includes a mini-Maypole made of a dowel and some ribbons. Time and ingredients permitting, I make a special lunch for my housemates and myself, usually along the lines of green salad with strawberries, chicken, and soft dinner rolls. Maybe this year I'll see if they're up to a picnic in the park.

As an unpartnered solitary, this Sabbat doesn't have quite the same punch for me as some of the others. I can't really relate to the Divine Marriage all by my lonesome.

--Me

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008, 13:09 
First Circle Initiate

eh beltane is a good one for me.

even with out a partner, i find that i honor the duality in myself. :)

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2008, 10:14 
Grand Poobah

When the boy comes home from school today, I think we are going to make honey cookies (cut into flowers m,ost likely, because, yes, we have not decorated for Beltane yet... :( so no skep cookies this year) and we'll attach mini cups to muffin cups (that have been flattened) and put in them cookies and candies and bring them to school tomorrow as 'may day baskets'. We'll also make up little baskets for some neighbors--- sweet ones and old ones.

My mom is going to cook dinner and make us lamb and spring veggies, and I am going to make gulab jamun. mmmmmmm....

I don't see it as much as a sex holiday as a woman's holiday. And as a time when the year really starts.

Lammas seems to involve more sex for me...

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 23:16 
Grand Poobah

I found this back when, but only now thought ot post it...

Quote:
The following morning, April 30, I went to a May Day Eve kickoff event on the University of Helsinki campus. Helsinki's Vappu has become a big student day, and the city's crowning event -- when students scrub down the Havis Amanda statue at 6 p.m. on May Day Eve -- is attended by what feels like half the city's 565,000 residents.
As we watched students make speeches on the rooftop of an academic building, I asked my host, Pekka Makinen, what I needed to know about Vappu.

"Sparkling wine," he answered. And, he added, a few simple rules. "If somebody tries to work or study during the celebration, he will be drowned in a small lake outside Helsinki." More seriously: "Everybody has to drink to dignity and be in a good mood."

By mid-morning, dignity was starting to wane; some students had clearly been at it for a few days. Wearing painter's jumpsuits in bright colors denoting their area of study (a pink suit, for instance, indicates a major in mechanical engineering), thousands of students milled around in various stages of inebriation, with cooking utensils, stuffed animals and champagne flutes harnessed to their suits. A woman splashed around in a hot tub fashioned out of a shipping container, and a few detoxing souls sat on the wooden benches of a simple tarp sauna, the same model used by the Finnish military in the forest and on peacekeeping missions.

On the flat rooftop, the female freshmen of the chemistry department performed the cancan, a cork popped into a stand-up microphone, and the students' version of Vappu had officially begun.
The master of ceremonies sent the university's annual launch of a whiskey bottle attached to a cluster of red balloons into the air. We watched it float toward the treetops, bearing its message of fun.

As the day unfolded, most of my conversations looped back to one simple philosophy: "It's Vappu."
Why do students wash the naked female figure of the Havis Amanda statue with soap and water? It's Vappu.
Why is that naked man crawling up the statue? It's Vappu.
Did you just drink an entire bottle of sparkling wine during our 10-minute conversation? It's Vappu.