The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 11 Aug 2020, 16:51

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: US Thanksgiving
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 14:18 
Grand Poobah

Who here celebrates it, why and do you make is religious or secular?

I celebrate it because it's important to my family (I have issues (no--- subscriptions!) with being told that I have to celebrate something by the government--- ask me about Mother's Day some day ;)) and it's a good excuse for a big dinner and cathcing up with family. I hate how it comes between Hallowe'en and Yule---two big holidays for us, but I'll deal.

We celebrate it almost like any other feast. We 'toast' in a couple of rounds of what we're thankful for, and we put out a plate to the dead. Other than that, we eat, eat, and eat some more, clean up, eat some more and watch movies.

How do you celebrate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 15:19 
First Circle Initiate

I celebrate it because my family does, and because it's a good excuse to cook and eat a lavish meal. Despite the thin Christian veneer, I consider it a fundamentally secular holiday, or at least an ecumenical one--celebrating the harvest and appreciating the good fortune in your life is hardly specific to any one religion or culture. After all, the feast that started it all was a joint celebration shared between a group of Christians and a group of animists.

--Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 16:23 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Karalora wrote:
After all, the feast that started it all was a joint celebration shared between a group of Christians and a group of animists.

Well ... One was ... Though ... It -should- be noted that the Puritans were more likely to 'give' thanks by fasting rather than feasting.

Personally, I'm more of the mind that it comes from earlier harvest festivals (helping to repay everyone who's helped to bring in your bountiful crops) than to think it actually is anything sacred. Hence I think Canada's far more on-the-ball as to when they celebrate ...

http://www.aimovement.org/moipr/thanksgiv.html
http://www.francesfarmersrevenge.com/stuff/archive/turkey/index.htm
http://www.belcherfoundation.org/thanksgiving_day.htm

And ...

The Making of the Domestic Occasion: The History of Thanksgiving in the United States, by Elizabeth Pleck, Journal of Social History © 1999 (This one's really neat. I didn't know that starting in the late 1700's we had folks dressing up in costume and kids begging about for Thanksgiving ...)

Last edited by Hex on 19 Nov 2007, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 21:33 
Neighbor of the Beast

I have always found Thanksgiving to be a purely secular feast day. I try to refrain from using holiday when dealing with this one, though it just slips out on occasion. In my family tradition, it has never had religious overtones, at least no more than any other meal...

This is a day that I find is about what it is named after. Easter (the "feast of Aster"?), Christmas (Christ's Mass), and others are often poorly named, or (more probably) have simply lost their meaning. It is about celebrating and giving thanks, it is about family and plenty, and...most important to me...it is not overly commercialized.

I mean, seriously, when was the last time you saw Thanksgiving decorations up at a store? If you are lucky, they actually wait for Halloween to be over before decorating for Cashmas...uh, sorry, Christmas...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 11:12 
Grand Poobah

I know that the Church of Yahweh is against celebrating Thanksgiving because it isn't a 'holiday'--- they cite things like the feast (vs fast mentioned above) and the firing of guns (never done on a 'holy' day) as reasons this holiday started off as strictly secular.

Me, I always have the question of who we give thanks to? ;)

We've worked out our own prayer before meals, which isn't too Bart Simpson, and I'll share it here:
Quote:
We give thanks for the food that is before us,
and all the work and sacrifice that brought it to us.
We give thanks for all the blessings in our lives
Especially the ones we take forgranted.

While it does leave the 'blessings' up to question, I feel it's more important to be reminded that there are so many things we take forgranted that other people are envious of. The first thanks is to the animals who died and the people who worked so hard, the farmers etc.

We did make Turkey Cupcakeslast night for dessert, though...

And, now, the oblig Buffy reference---
Quote:
Thanksgiving: ritual sacrifice with pie
from Pangs (Season 4)

Gerhardt: And that's why it's appropriate that the ground-breaking for the uc sunnydale cultural partnership center is taking place so soon before thanksgiving. Because that's what the melting pot is about-- Contributions from all cultures, making our culture stronger...

WILLOW: What a load of horse hooey.

BUFFY: We have a counterpoint?

WILLOW: Yeah. Thanksgiving isn't about blending of 2 cultures. It's about one culture wiping out another. And then they make animated specials about the part where, with the maize and the big, big belt buckles. They don't show you the next scene, where all the bison die and squanto takes a musket ball in the stomach.

BUFFY: Ok. Now, for some of that, you were channeling your mother?

WILLOW: Well, yeah, sort of. That's why she doesn't celebrate thanksgiving or columbus day-- You know, the destruction of the indigenous peoples. I know it sounds a little overwrought, but really, she's...She's right.

BUFFY: Yeah. I guess I never really thought about it that way. With mom at aunt darlene's this year, I'm not getting a thanksgiving. Maybe it's just as well.

ANYA: Well, I think that's a shame. I love a ritual sacrifice.

BUFFY: It's not really a one of those.

ANYA: To commemorate a past event, you kill and eat an animal. It's a ritual sacrifice, with pie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2007, 04:57 
Postess

I don't really do anything for Thanksgiving It has nothing to do with any beliefs, or lack of them, but it's just that I'm usually working the night before & the night after so being awake all day is kind of a bitch. I have no family near me so I don't have to worry about offending them by not attending any feast.
Most of my holidays consist of "working, going home to sleep, then working again".

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2007, 14:42 
Grand Poobah

:(

I like feasts.

We did ok, but we are so behind now... adn have so much to do!

ARGH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2007, 08:45 
Neophyte

I celebrate it because my whole family does and because I like the message of TG. The sanitized version of how the Pilgrims got along with the Native Americans and were taught how to grow corn and hunt and such… A good message of cooperation, tolerance, diversity and unity of faiths, but of course, that’s the sanitized version. I also think that life is to be lived in reverence and awe of the universe and the creator and giving thanks is an important part of that.