The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 11 Aug 2020, 17:42

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009, 20:57 
Acolyte

Hello here!
This weekend (1st Feb) many in the Southern Hemisphere in Pagan traditions will celebrate the Seasonal Moment of the transition into the dark part of the annual Earth-Sun cycle. This Seasonal Moment being the first past Summer Solstice is a harvest festival, and may be a contemplation of the Dark - http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=O1f71VaH2BY - , and the blackness - in which we know ourselves to be immersed, and out of which it all arises apparently. In Earth-based religious traditions, black may be the colour of fertility - representing Earth ( as Marija Gimbutas has noted in her work) - and thus representing an awesome power of regeneration, an autopoiesis, in which all are immersed and participate.

As I decorate our place for it (black, black and more black) , I reflect that it has been and is, an awesome power for humans to come to terms with - and knowing it within ourselves ... thus all kinds of projections about the wickedness or trivialisation of those who may be associated with it - the colour black, and fertility. I think it may have been this ritual - essential to the understanding of the whole cycle of the year - that the indigenous peoples , particularly women, of Europe were burned for.

There are other "takes" one can have on the celebration of this season. This is the one Seasonal Moment, out of the eight possible, that is often left out of celebration even in Pagan circles. It may be and usually is, celebrated as "Lughnasad" - the "wake" of the Sun god Lugh, but as such it often still remains something outside of the self ... wewe get to do the feasting on the harvest, remaining oblivious to ourselves personally being the harvest. Lammas/Early Autumn ceremony may be a coming to terms with death, and how this letting go (initiation) is the source of regeneration and renewal.

Of course in the Northern Hemisphere it is Early Spring being celebrated ( http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ML6ItPOPGxk) - but the two go together ... intimate mirror images.

Someone reflected to me recently how a culture will unconsciously have or create rituals/festivals appropriate to the season - and that Australia Da(which we just had here) was an example - as an end of Summer/early Autumn cultural ritual. Another is Anzac Day being co-incidental with Samhain/Deep Autumn (Halloween) in Australia.

for more: http://pagaian.org/news/lammasimbolc-earthgaia
blissings on your rituals of the Moment

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009, 23:06 
Grand Poobah

I am sooooo not ready for imbolic.

Our tree is still up!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 18:32 
Acolyte

TAKE. DOWN. THE. TREE.

TO. DAY.

:cheeky:

I adopted my kitteh 2 years ago come Imbolc, so I just consider that to be her birthday.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 18:43 
Grand Poobah

If we had the time, we would.

gah.

Did you notice we have been house hunting?

I've beent hinking we could just move the tree decorated into the new basement...

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 19:42 
Acolyte

I recommend launching into orbit. We send all this radioactive shit out there, I think we owe the neighbours something pretty.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 22:30 
First Circle Initiate

In my opinion, Jess, the Brass clad heathen is right.

Take time to take down the tree.
Do it with respect but do it.
Honestly, it won't take you and the Hex much time at all to make it happen.

But, there is a real reason to do this.
I think you already know this reason.

And you should heed advice.
Even if given by semi-anonymous voices in the sky.

With weird names.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 08:14 
Acolyte

Jess I am sure that taking down the tree will help you move into Imbolc ... climb into the growing light. It will be your ritual.

We have been really busy here too ... it seems the way of things these days. But I find that making the space for the seasonal ritual and reflection amazingly productive!
cheers

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 08:28 
Grand Poobah

When walking the dogs this morning, in the couple of feet of new snow, I was all 'damn snow, yicky snow' and then said, 'gee, we're in the height of winter. It's about to be over' and suddenly the snow nad the cold were all beautiful.

6 months from now will be the height of summer.

I love paying attention to the Wheel. It really balances me...

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 16:11 
Acolyte

I would've cussed the snow, and, thinking on the height of summer, would've pre-emptively cussed that, too. :D