The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 11 Aug 2020, 16:34

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 13:14 
Grand Poobah

Does anyone else anywhere have one of these?

From a local mag:

Quote:
1. St. Patrick Joseph Dyngus Day Party
As a proud descendent of the ’Oirish, I have always loved St. Patrick’s Day shenanigans. The green beer flows, the ironic “kiss me” T-shirts are busted out regardless of the temperature, Leprechaun flies off the shelves at Blockbuster, and the streets of Buffalo and beyond are overrun (in a good way) with parades. I’ll hesitate from judging which is best—I probably wouldn’t live past March 31—but I think my favorite way to celebrate is the twelfth annual St. Patrick Joseph Dyngus Day Party on March 22. Apart from celebrating both St. Patrick’s Day and the gob-smackingly named Dyngus Day, the party is known for bringing together three ethnic holidays and cultures: the Irish, the Polish, and the Italian. The fun will feature a polka band, a Celtic rock group, and Italian musicians, too—a model UN of local music. A “surprise special guest” is planned, and attendees will have the chance to learn how to do a tarantella, a polka, and a jig. If that doesn’t say long live the Ir-olish-alians, I don’t know what does.
Sunday, March 22, from 3 to 8 p.m. at the Irish Center, 240 Abbott Rd., Buffalo; tickets are available at the Tara Gift Shoppe, 245 Abbott Rd., Buffalo, 825-6700, or by calling 834-7664.

Or do you only celebrate one of them?

We should make it a week long party and make it a tourist attraction...

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 14:51 
Garden Goddess

OUr city has a parade for St. Patty's Day. Its still pretty low key yk?

Now Butte, Mt is a great place to celebrate that day, proud Irish town. Well if you are of drinking age and your liver can handle it! A great experience and I did not get arrested. which seems to be almost a contest to get arrested it gets that crazy, but manoman did I need the aspirin next day. That was 20 years ago, I was not legal to drink at that age, first year of college. man was it fun.

side note: we ran out of money so we set up in the backdoor of one of the bars charging people a cover charge to get in!! :lol: we made about $20 bucks, just enough to finish the day.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 15:38 
Grand Poobah

That's great!

Reminds me of the guy who walked into a toll booth in NYC at a bridge, opened up shop for an hour, packed up and went home.

$3.50 a pop, 5 cars a minute...

easy money.