The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 03:04

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: At the end of life...
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2008, 07:14 
Postess

http://timesonline.typepad.com/faith/2008/01/deceased-whose.html

How do you want your body to be taken care of after your death? Is there any ritual/ceremony you want?
My mother's body was donated for science/medical use and we had an eulogy. My brother was cremated without any ceremony. I would like to donate my body to The Body Farm but so far am have had no luckt getting people to witness the necessary documents. I would like to have an end-of-life ceremony but haven't worked out the details of it.

[font=Lucida Console]I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure: which is: Try to please everybody.[/font]

[mod="Hex"]Linky fix[/mod]

Last edited by Tao of Pooh on 12 Jan 2008, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2008, 10:13 
Neighbor of the Beast

I am of the mind to make whatever dispositions of my body that are the least expensive to those that must deal with it. Give to science, cremate, leave me in a dumpster...I will be dead so I won't care.

I have recently had this conversation with some other friends. One pointed out that some sort of ceremony is necessary to help those that still live to adjust and adapt to the loss. To that end, I feel that the ceremony should be a positive thing, a celebration. I am all for the concept of the Irish Wake, celebrate the life, the good, the positive, and say good bye to make some closure. Then everyone goes out and lives, hopefully their lives the better for having had me in them. :D

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 05:32 
Neophyte

I honestly haven't thought about it much, though I suppose I should. All I know for sure is that I do not want a Christian service. No reverend presiding, no going anywhere near a church, nothing of that description whatsoever. Just a general celebrant in a funeral home or something will be fine. I probably should note that down in my will when I get one drawn up - I don't think any of my relatives would go along with my final wishes.

"How do you document real life when real life's getting more like fiction each day?"
--Mark Cohen, Rent

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 08:33 
Grand Poobah

Donate anything donatable and green burythe rest.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 12:28 
First Circle Initiate

jess wrote:
Donate anything donatable and green burythe rest.

Thanks for posting that, Jess. How and where I'm buried has always been important to me and I've always wanted to return to the earth, to feed it and be eaten by the worms in its soil rather than be cremated or placed inside a box which would slow that process. I didn't think it was allowed by law though. That link relieved my mind that it is a real option and I showed it to my wife, so I may get my wish. A real blessing, thanks.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 14:14 
The Good Man of Nanking

I've always said I didn't really care, and apart from the organ donation, I really don't.

Maybe I'll have it sent to The Body Farm.

Rob

Naked Gun 2 1/2

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2008, 10:42 
First Circle Initiate

I want my heart valves to be donated to ailing pigs.

Apart from that, whatever has the softest environmental impact.

--Me

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 14:25 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

And ... It looks like green burials are becoming more accessible too ...

Natural 'green' cemetery planned in Georgia ...