The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:05

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2008, 12:03 
Grand Poobah

Yeah, snopes says it's real.

This link raises money for Autism.

there are other videos ont he page for other charities, I've just discovered. Snopes only listed the one.

Last edited by jess on 18 Jan 2008, 12:13, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 05:04 
Postess

I watched the vid you linked & a few of the others, here's one for Muscular Dystrophy:
http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com/videos/view/id/576671
Many people's only exposure to MD is the Jerry Lewis telethon. Growing up it was practically sacrilege in my home to not watch & contribute to the telethon. I also remember that as a child I would collect $$ for MD, going door to door with my older brother.

My older brother...who had Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. When I was little I thought it was "Dutchman's" instead of Duchenne's and didn't understand why my brother had it...we weren't Dutch :dontknow: He's dead now, died many years ago when he got pneumonia and his body was too weak to fight it off.
My mother used to have a picture of him as a child, maybe 3-4 years old. It's Christmas and he's holding a play guitar that he got as a present. I don't know what happened to the picture but I remember it vividly because it's the only time I've ever seen him standing. By the time I was born he could no longer walk or stand. As time went by he couldn't easily lift his arms, he had to grasp his hand in his mouth & sort of heave his arm up. Even with such limited mobility he was quite the artist, building models of all kinds, simple woodwork & painting.
:P When he turned 18 our other brother & sister, some friends of ours & I pooled our $$ together, got him drunk & bought him a hooker...Ah, good times!

If you read the link you'll see that it's sex-related-males get it, females carry it. I decided to not have children because I am a carrier. While it's unlikely I would have a son with MD I would most likely have a daughter who was a carrier and I wouldn't want to put a child of mine in the same position I'm in.

[font=Century Gothic]A witch who's on the wagon is no match for an elf who's on the warpath.[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 15:38 
Grand Poobah

There is nothing I can say here, Pooh. I can't picture what you've been through and how hard that decision must be. I don't envy you at all.

:comfort:

(since so many of our friends are adopted, I have to plug for that option, however. ;) Haiti also doesn't allow adoptions by women under 35!

I'm glad you found that video. I'm happy that site is doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 15:52 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Words fail me, Pooh ...

:farhug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2008, 02:35 
Postess

Thanks :3some: I don't know why I wrote that, I usually don't talk about that brother. I actually got weepy while writing it. I saw on the news recently that embryonic stem cells have successfully been used to regenerate muscles & may hold a cure for Duchenne Dystrophy. Yay! I had considered adoption, actually started the adoption process many years ago but I lost my job, car & home during that time & didn't think an unemployed, homeless person had much of a chance of adopting. While my situation has improved I never tried adopting again, though I have thought about it. Um, sorry 'bout hijacking your thread jess :oops: [b81][i81][color=violet81]Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.[/i81][/b81][/color81]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2008, 09:36 
Grand Poobah

hardly a hijack. It's on topic, and kinda brings home the reality of the need. We went through 4 years of infertility. It scarred us, and as such, I think we have a much better understanding of other people's hells, even if they are not the same as ours. It reminds me of the line from [url=http://imdb.com/title/tt0063227/]The Lion In Winter[/url]: [quote8a]I've spent the last four years in hell! Funny, I never saw you there.[/quote8a] While I would trade almost anything to have never gone through IF, I'm also feel that my new conception of individual hells was a benefit.

Last edited by jess on 22 Jan 2008, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.