The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 10:37

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 07:43 
Postess

and other assorted creatures. I can't think of the right term for them right now (cryptozoo...something-ish?)
So many people say they've seen these creatures, as well as believing that fairies & dragons & the like exist. I don't believe they exist in the physical plain.

Damn, it's getting busy @ work so that's all I gots time for. What are your thoughts?

Human beings have an inalienable right to invent themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 10:14 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Cryptozoology ...

We can talk about them ...

Now, dragons are easy to pass away as explainations for dinosaur fossils, but the live ones?

Trick of the light? Tiny surviving population?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 10:54 
Grand Poobah

Well, my mom felt vindicated in her belief that dragons were dinosaurs when it came out that they were warm blooded (breathing out mist= breathing fire).

I did a paper on the existence on Nessie as a child, and I always wondered about the age of the sightings--- The legends and sightings (including St. Columba) goe back 1500+ years. Back through a time where such things were shunned, not praised.

To me, while I find animals that fall under cryptozoology 'unlikely', I think they fall into a realm of 'I can't be sure'. I mean, giant squid were 'tall tales' until they started being caught in modern times...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 02:51 
Postess

I also meant to write about the anthropomorphism of nature, collective consciousness, urban myths/legends & how they relate/contribute to things like this but I kept getting sidetracked & I couldn't get my thoughts in order.

Myth is the public dream, and dream is the private myth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 07:49 
Postess

I always assumed the "dragon/dinosaur" connexion too but the thing is...didn't the dinosaurs die off before humans arose? And as for fossils, I don't think there was a whole lot of paleo...thingyism going on. Even if some proto-humans (or whatever) happened across a perfectly preserved fossil, how often was something like that likely to occur? Enough times to have formed the nearly world-wide concept of dragons?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 08:37 
Grand Poobah

?--- it wouldn't have to be 'near perfect' to have done it. If people knew the size of a horse thigh bone, and found one 20X bigger... well, that'd mean a 20x bigger horse, right?

The fact that the dinosaur legends are not uniform would uphold this idea, a little...

I also remember, when studying bestiaries, that people thoughtt here were equal animals under the sea as on land--- so the existance of narwhales meant there had to be unicorns...

While I would think it is possible to have a dinosaur or two survive, In My Opinion, they'd have to have exceptional life spans to be able to do so and not reproduce. So, I feelit is highly improbable.

Where are the recent bones, after all, that St. George and his ilk killed? There are unicorn horns in museums (I've seen them in the Cloisters in NYC), but there are generally carved ivory or narwhale horns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 08:50 
Postess

I know unicorns exist, I've seen 'em. Not the horsey-looking ones, the goat ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 08:58 

I don't know that you'd need a 'whole' skeleton to do the work of mythological explaination.

Look to elephant/mastadon/mamoth skulls leading cyclopian mythos ...

:fucyc:

(And to think, I was going to remove that smilie, because it would -never- get used ... :oops: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 09:43 
Grand Poobah

Tao of Pooh wrote:
I know unicorns exist, I've seen 'em. Not the horsey-looking ones, the goat ones.

you do mean man made ones, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 02:52 
Postess

jess wrote:
Tao of Pooh wrote:

you do mean man made ones, right?

Yup.

"Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask, 'Why me?' Then a voice answers, 'Nothing personal; your name just happened to come up.'"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2007, 09:09 
Neophyte

I've read where the Chinese have been digging up Dinosaur bones for centuries and that is where they came up with their dragons. Perhaps other cultures did this as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2007, 16:51 

Jedi Mind Trick wrote:
I've read where the Chinese have been digging up Dinosaur bones for centuries and that is where they came up with their dragons. Perhaps other cultures did this as well.

Absolutely. In fact, 'powdered dragon bones' still are part of a traditional Chinese apothacaries' wares. (It's how early Homo erectus was discovered in China - a European doctor looking at Chinese medicine in the late 1800's found a molar with the Y-5 cusp pattern in a box of unground 'dragon bones' :roll: )

And, it makes sense in places like the Gobi desert and areas of North America where fossils of large creatures that don't exist today (or then) were eroding out of cliff walls and such. There -must- be an explaination as to why we have evidence for these creatures that don't exist ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2007, 04:14 
Postess

But wasn't what the Chinese called "dragon bones" later determined to be ancient human bones?

I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2007, 13:25 

Tao of Pooh wrote:
But wasn't what the Chinese called "dragon bones" later determined to be ancient human bones?

Some of them. The Chinese weren't too particular, it seems. Anything fossilized could count as 'dragon bones'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2008, 15:10 

Hey ...

In taking a minute to come back to this, I hit on the Society for Scientific Explanation, who, in a Science blurb from 1982 get self-described as "heretical science".

Cryptozoology is one of the things they take up, as well as other scientific 'anomalies' ...

They've got some articles and abstracts online ...