The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 09 Aug 2020, 00:35

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please note: Discussion here should be relatively civil. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks!

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 08:45 
Second-Sight Apprentice

Looks like an interesting book.

Quote:
The divide between the religious and nonreligious is a wide one — even more so in America, where Christianity and politics are so often intertwined. Atheist Gina Welch wanted to bridge that gap. So she went undercover for two years, joining a megachurch and revealing her nonbeliever status to no one. She eventually became a true part of the community, even going on a mission trip with people she now considers friends. Welch details her journey in a new book, In the Land of Believers: An Outsider's Extraordinary Journey into the Heart of the Evangelical Church. She talked with TIME about pastor Jerry Falwell and why even atheists can respect Christian evangelism.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1977701,00.html?xid=rss-fullnation-yahoo#ixzz0l598OnLZ

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 09:50 
'Lustrous Potentate

"Intoxicated" by the "charisma" of Jerry Falwell? Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 11:55 
Second-Sight Apprentice

I think of both Dennis Quaid and Craig Ferguson here. Quaid talked about meeting Clinton on Letterman. He was not too happy about meeting him due to the affair he had, no real respect there. He told Dave that was was immediately taken with Clinton and by the end of the golf game liked him a lot. Ferguson had the chance to meet Bush who he despises. He too was a taken with Bush's charm. I think some people have that power. That or they are completely different in person than the come across in media.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 19:55 
Grand Poobah

willynilly wrote:
That or they are completely different in person than the come across in media.

I certainly see that.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 23:16 
Devoté of Eros

Quote:
She talked with TIME about pastor Jerry Falwell and why even atheists can respect Christian evangelism.

A solid dose of respect goes a long way to understanding fear. While in a lizard-brain fashion I fear rattlesnakes, I respect the fact that they can do serious harm to me and therefore understand their nature and behavior before I enter their territory. I have not RTFA, but I expect that this sort of respect is far more appreciable (i.e. to understand) rather than the connotation of "respect" flouted by religions and organizations that use it as a cover to defraud the public.

I often forget exactly who Jerry Falwell happens to be, but when I hear the name it comes across with a particular disdain. I guess he hasn't gotten a good reputation out-culture. :compress:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2010, 11:27 
Grand Poobah

respect is the key to most everything.