The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 10:23

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 14:01 
Grand Poobah

No! Never!

No, wait... here's the article...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... mainpromo8

Quote:
Bacon ice cream, bacon coffee...bacon cereal? Celebrity chef Tim Love on how crispy smoked pork has finally jumped the shark. Plus, VIEW OUR GALLERY of the craziest bacon dishes ever.

With its salty-smoky-sweet crispiness, bacon ranks up there with chocolate as a great populist ingredient. A piece of chocolate-covered bacon may, in fact, have been the greatest thing I've ever tasted.

Still, as both a fan of all things meat and a restaurateur, I have to speak truth to power: The bacon craze has gone too far.

To professional and amateur chefs alike, it has become more than just a potent tool for infusing fat and flavor. It has become a ubiquitous ingredient in everything from cocktails to crockpots, used by chefs a bit too liberally in favor of that big, familiar taste you've known since Mom first put it on your plate before school. Bacon coffee, bacon cereal, bacon ice cream—America, cut it out!

I've always been a dove hunting man. Here in Texas, people tend to prepare dove breast only one way. It's a very small piece of meat, it's very lean, and it takes a lot of technique to make the dish sing. But instead of cajoling all the beautiful flavor out of it, they take the breast, jam a jalapeno in it, and swaddle it in, well, you-know-what.

With any ingredient, no matter how versatile, it is the chef's job to temper it. Instead, because it's so popular right now, bacon serves as the quick fix to provide crowd-pleasing smoky fatty richness and flavor. And while this may be much simpler than starting a fire or jury-rigging a cold smoker, it's the same trick people have used since I was a kid. When I was growing up, you were never able to get a beef tenderloin without it being wrapped in bacon. That was how many cooks made sure people would like it.

More than any other food, bacon has been lifted by the comfort food trend because of that instant recognition. Picture a piece of bacon. Now, just try to convince me that the signature smoky aroma and fatty saltiness haven't already trapped every flavor receptor in your mouth and nose. Bacon is chock full of umami.

So when eaters see bacon on a menu, they know exactly what they're getting, just like the familiar reassurance of a slice of pizza or French fries. Plus, bacon's just never fancy, so no one feels intimidated ordering it. All of a sudden, you've got yourself a trend. Bacon has always been in every supermarket and everyone knows how to cook it. And everywhere they look, chefs and restaurants are telling them it's the must-use ingredient. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

A lot of people are latching on to feel like they're part of a bigger food trend. But we should be moving on from the humble pig (pork belly, I'm talking about you, too) and elevating other animals. The culinary world is waiting for some gambler out there to take the next step. Right now, my menu has a lamb belly BLT because I think both lamb and goat are underappreciated and delicious. And, what about game birds (remember, I'm partial to doves)? There's so much wonderful experimentation going on for those brave enough to venture there. So many cuts of meat that may sound just as initially odd as pork belly, but can turn into the next big cooking trend coming from the right cutting board.

Bacon, you've always been there for us and will always be there, but it's high time we all stepped beyond the comfort zones of familiar trends and showcase something different.

Tim Love is the chef and owner of the Lonesome Dove Western Bistro and the Love Shack in Fort Worth, Texas, and been featured on television shows ranging from Today to Iron Chef America (where he defeated Morimoto in a chile battle).

A slide show of bacon foods is here:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... 353;page=1

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 04:29 
The Power to Scry

Got any halal bacon. :P

ahhhhhhheerrrgjfsddadalk, Baaacon.

At your back
May the sun shine warm
upon your face
May the rain fall soft
upon your field,
And until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

"I apologise... For nothing!"

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 11:43 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

Beef bacon is halal ...

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 13:04 
The Power to Scry

Hex wrote:
Beef bacon is halal ...

Slight category error but i eat bacon anyway. :D

At your back
May the sun shine warm
upon your face
May the rain fall soft
upon your field,
And until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

"I apologise... For nothing!"

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 03:18 
Acolyte

Jump the shark or not, I love it.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 07:59 
Grand Poobah

<sings>everything is better with bacon!</sings>

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010, 20:50 
Grand Poobah

you wouldn't leave us for breakfast?

Bacon!

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 18:47 
Grand Poobah

Pig candy--- sugar bacon

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2009/01/pi ... bacon.html

mmmmm

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 13:47 
Grand Poobah

http://weirdnews.about.com/b/2010/10/02 ... -bacon.htm
Quote:
Face of Food: It's a Bacon Kevin Bacon!
Saturday October 2, 2010
Now that it's been done, I have to ask: Why wasn't this done before?
Behold! It's Kevin Bacon... made of bacon.

Better yet, this bacon beauty can be yours -- because as Monica Garske writes, it's up for sale on eBay with all of the proceeds to go to charity.

The project was the brainchild -- or is that porkchild? -- of What Would Bacon Do? and J&D Foods, the Seattle company that gave us Bacon Salt, Baconnaise, bacon-flavored lip balm and bacon-flavored MMMvelopes.

But if you win this hickory-smoked piece of art, don't plan on eating it.

"Bacon Kevin Bacon has been well-lacquered and will stay tasty for generations to come. He's not edible, just meant to be admired," Esch told AOL News.

See more strange art in the Weird Art photo collection.

pic at link.

it's being auctioned for charity.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 12:13 
Grand Poobah

http://bacontoday.com/

online magazine about bacon!

Thanks Master Taran

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 12:44 
Grand Poobah

http://www.mcphee.com/shop/products/Eff ... blets.html

bacon fizzy tablets.

Seriously.