The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 11:19

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 10:01 
'Lustrous Potentate

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 6091.story

By Noam N. Levey
April 13, 2010

Quote:
Public outrage over double-digit rate hikes for health insurance may have helped push President Obama's healthcare overhaul across the finish line, but the new law does not give regulators the power to block similar increases in the future.

And now, with some major companies already moving to boost premiums and others poised to follow suit, millions of Americans may feel an unexpected jolt in the pocketbook.

Although Democrats promised greater consumer protection, the overhaul does not give the federal government broad regulatory power to prevent increases.

Many state governments -- which traditionally had responsibility for regulating insurance companies -- also do not have such authority. And several that do are now being sued by insurance companies.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 06:03 
The Power to Scry

I still say you should of implemented it on a state by state basis, like most large social security branches centralisation is only really an option in small countries of less than 100 million people.

At your back
May the sun shine warm
upon your face
May the rain fall soft
upon your field,
And until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

"I apologise... For nothing!"

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 07:52 
Neighbor of the Beast

This bill, while it is a "step in the right direction" is shit. It is like the first step in the journey of a thousand miles....or a million. Yay! We got two feet closer!

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 09:06 
'Lustrous Potentate

The Dagda wrote:
I still say you should of implemented it on a state by state basis

I completely agree. I live in Wisconsin, and the state has already done a lot to extend coverage to the uninsured. When the federal government gets involved, that can disrupt what the states are already doing.

The problem with this, though, is that many states may choose not to do anything. Perhaps if the federal government were to mandate the states to address the problem, and provide resources to help pay for it, but then leave it up to the states to find the most workable solutions for them. Florida, with its older population, has quite different concerns than does Utah with its low average age. The same with states that are primarily rural vs. urban.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 03:12 
The Power to Scry

Zebulon wrote:
The Dagda wrote:
I still say you should of implemented it on a state by state basis

I completely agree. I live in Wisconsin, and the state has already done a lot to extend coverage to the uninsured. When the federal government gets involved, that can disrupt what the states are already doing.

The problem with this, though, is that many states may choose not to do anything. Perhaps if the federal government were to mandate the states to address the problem, and provide resources to help pay for it, but then leave it up to the states to find the most workable solutions for them. Florida, with its older population, has quite different concerns than does Utah with its low average age. The same with states that are primarily rural vs. urban.

Quite.

I fear this system may fail and the overall benefit of health care for all, get lost in the inevitable I told you so storm that will follow.

At your back
May the sun shine warm
upon your face
May the rain fall soft
upon your field,
And until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

"I apologise... For nothing!"

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 07:38 
Grand Poobah

It's the states rights thing.

Like how I like living in NYS. And how Ohio scares me...