The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 09:53

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Automatic Transmission
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2008, 12:22 
First Circle Initiate

Now I get the convienience of this mode of gearing, however, experiencing it first hand after owning manuals for the past decade I am somewhat dischuffed. I have no control of gearing, even the gear selection doesn't offer the top gear, what the hell is the point in this?? Then we have the fuel consumption, my previous car was a manual of the same make, model and engine size yet I'm losing 3 times the ammount of fuel that I normally would have in the manual, don't get me wrong I'm no go greener enthusiast, I'd just prefer the power and fuel used appropriately and not wasted. The acceleration is horrible due to it's laggy shift up and response times up hill start takes about 2-3 seconds for the damn thing to relise "oh he's putting the foot down." and go. Then theres my habits, my poor clutch foot stomps the ground like a really bad drummer whenever I'm slowing down and my gear hand is quite itchy, reaching then stopping myself, it's almost like the sensation of having a stroke.

So my conclusion is: If you're lazy, love to burn excess fuel, want your car's power to be far less than it's potential and are not interested in the activity of driving then I strongly recommend an automatic!

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2008, 13:39 
Grand Poobah

Preach it brother!

:iroc:

Only standards here. Well, one exeption, but not our fault. I can't picture life with an automatic... I dread the day you can't buy a standard anymore...