The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 06:16

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Question 2
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 23:52 
Acolyte

Mediancat wrote:
rigorist wrote:

You engage in the same behavior you condemn.

Stay classy!

We do?

We visit other people's boards unsolicited and try to cause trouble?

I was not aware that we did this.

Rob

"Cause trouble"--what does that mean? Saying things that make you uncomfortable?

Might I suggest that having a specific place for unregistered persons to post indicates an intent to not have a specifically private club?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 23:55 
Acolyte

jess wrote:
Interesting.

What is it I condemn then, that I am engaging in?

Insult and invective. Not you directly most of the time. Your guests.

If someone comes to your house and eats your food and you let you friends beat the shit out of him, are not you at least a little responsible?

Think about it a bit.

You complain about TR because the admins let some people behave badly to the point you and your friends were driven off. Yet here at your own board, you are letting people behave badly until some people are driven off. Just different people.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 02:45 
First Circle Initiate

MattShizzle wrote:
Easilly. Boil about 1 pound of honey in 1/2 gallon of water for one half hour. Cool the mixture to room temperature in the sink. Add enough spring water to make up for steam that boiled away. Add to empty soda bottle(s) which have previously been rinsed with sanitizing solution. Add yeast mixture (made according to dried yeast directions) Close caps and make sure to release pressure every few hours. In 2 weeks you have something drinkable. Obviously this wont be the best but will be as good as most you find out there. If you want to make it better obviously use homebrewing equipment including airlocks rather than a soda bottle. I started homebrewing beer in 1995 so I know what I'm talking about.

There'd be a helluva lot of dead yeast cells in that.

A bit of yeast sediment from a secondary fermentation is one thing, but a surfeit something else.

I doubt that after a fortnight you could pour more than a glass without it being excessively cloudy.

Doesn't sound very good to me! Except perhaps as a laxative.

David B

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 03:08 
First Circle Initiate

Hex, is the mead you make very cloudy?

Matt - do you think that you could express yourself more more clearly? The implication of your posts above was that you could make a mead fit to drink in an hour, later retracted to making a mead (which my brewing experience tells me would barely, at best, be fit to drink) in a fortnight. Making a mead fit to drink in an hour seemed to me impossible.

And further, I see that you, inadvertently I trust, omitted to answer

me wrote:
And do you think that your experience of people who make bad unflavoured mead necessarily means that all mead makers make bad mead, unless flavoured?

If so please justify that position.

David B

Last edited by Hex on 26 Feb 2009, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed quote tag.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 07:35 
The Good Man of Nanking

rigorist wrote:
Mediancat wrote:
rigorist wrote:

Stay classy!

We do?

Rob

"Cause trouble"--what does that mean? Saying things that make you uncomfortable?

Might I suggest that having a specific place for unregistered persons to post indicates an intent to not have a specifically private club?

No, cause trouble, as in, say things designed to stir up the pot for no good reason -- and "shits and giggles" or "I'll make fun of these people" is not a good reason.

Might I suggest that having a specific place for unregistered persons to post does not indicate that everyone who posts there is to be treated like every word coming out of their mouths is a pearl of God's own wisdom, and that we should not necessarily take a deliberate attempt to poke fun at Hex as anything more than a deliberate attempt to poke fun at Hex?

Rob

Naked Gun 2 1/2

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 10:30 
Grand Poobah

rigorist wrote:
Mediancat wrote:
rigorist wrote:
My.

It is interesting to see the behavior of those who are opposed to "The Lulz Crew" when they are given just the slightest bit of advantage over another.

Stay classy!

My yes; we're poking fun at people who troll the forums and make not-so-veiled threats at future trolling attacks.

Shame on us. Shaaaaame.

Rob

Your behavior is no different than what you decry. Only the targets change.

Then maybe those are important enough to study what the differences are.

The target, the location, the quantity, quality and topic are all substantially different.

Look at this thread. This is what you are holding up as an example of 'physician heal thyself'.

If you can't see the difference, then I don't know what to do. There is one, and you are entitled to your opinion. I'm happy to listen, but that does not mean I'll see validity in it.

Do you see how they are different?

rigorist wrote:
Mediancat wrote:
rigorist wrote:

Stay classy!

We do?

Rob

This is not intended as a specifically private club.

But this was also not intended to be iidb3. We've refused to be the TR refugee board because we are not here for the iidb/tr/rnr community. Being a member of one of those boards does not grant you access, if you do not have other things in common.

TR proves rules don't work. We can only pick the posters we want. So, we are.

rigorist wrote:
jess wrote:
Interesting.

What is it I condemn then, that I am engaging in?

Insult and invective. Not you directly most of the time. Your guests.

If someone comes to your house and eats your food and you let you friends beat the shit out of him, are not you at least a little responsible?

Think about it a bit.

You complain about TR because the admins let some people behave badly to the point you and your friends were driven off. Yet here at your own board, you are letting people behave badly until some people are driven off. Just different people.

If they come in uninvited and throw the 'first punch', I'd expect our friends to.

And that's the way of the internet. What's the point?

Mediancat wrote:
rigorist wrote:
Mediancat wrote:
rigorist wrote:

Stay classy!

We do?

Rob

No, cause trouble, as in, say things designed to stir up the pot for no good reason -- and "shits and giggles" or "I'll make fun of these people" is not a good reason.

Might I suggest that having a specific place for unregistered persons to post does not indicate that everyone who posts there is to be treated like every word coming out of their mouths is a pearl of God's own wisdom, and that we should not necessarily take a deliberate attempt to poke fun at Hex as anything more than a deliberate attempt to poke fun at Hex?

Rob

Lookit this thread: the height of trolling on an essentially unmodded board.

Want to tell us how we're acting just like them again?

anyway, this is :offtopic1:

Matt, you want to know why that mead sucked?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 11:45 
Grand High Lord Admiral of Hell

David B wrote:

Nope. Actually, it's extremely clear. (And lightly carbonated because I kegged it :) )

But then, I use all that fancy stuff, like primary and secondary fermenters with airlocks, and I rack off the working mead from the yeast (in the same way I do beers and wines), and the ginger mead I have currently on-tap spent about 2.5 months in the fermenters (from time of brewing), then aged in the keg for another 2-3 months before it was ready.

I also balance the acids so it's neither too sweet nor too medicine-y.

And I use liquid yeasts instead of the freeze-dried ones. Much higher quality.

:byebye:

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 12:13 
First Circle Initiate

Hex wrote:
David B wrote:

Nope. Actually, it's extremely clear. (And lightly carbonated because I kegged it :) )

But then, I use all that fancy stuff, like primary and secondary fermenters with airlocks, and I rack off the working mead from the yeast (in the same way I do beers and wines), and the ginger mead I have currently on-tap spent about 2.5 months in the fermenters (from time of brewing), then aged in the keg for another 2-3 months before it was ready.

I also balance the acids so it's neither too sweet nor too medicine-y.

And I use liquid yeasts instead of the freeze-dried ones. Much higher quality.

:byebye:

Sounds like a mead to be justly proud of.

Would you agree with me that the recipe provided by the alleged skilled brewer who made the OP would be a waste of honey?

I wonder what led him to assume that because his experience of mead was not good, that all meads aren't good

Lack of logical skills, I suppose. Unless he just came here to try to annoy, perhaps?

I can't, off the top of my head, think of another explanation.

Can you?

Of course those two hypotheses are not mutually exclusive.

David B

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 12:41 

David B wrote:
Would you agree with me that the recipe provided by the alleged skilled brewer who made the OP would be a waste of honey?

I wonder what led him to assume that because his experience of mead was not good, that all meads aren't good

Lack of logical skills, I suppose. Unless he just came here to try to annoy, perhaps?

I can't, off the top of my head, think of another explanation.

Can you?

Of course those two hypotheses are not mutually exclusive.

David B

Well ... I suppose that the mixture would have a fair bit of alcohol to it, and for a college dorm version of something to have if you're desperate, it would probably suffice to help get you drunk. :dontknow:

As to the why? I really couldn't say.

Although I would expect some who's been brewing for nearly 15 years to understand enough of the basic steps/chemistry to know it's not that simple.

Granted, beers are a whole lot easier to brew. Once you decode how the different grains and roasts end up tasting once the yeasts are done converting the sugars and how to blend those to get a particular flavor, understanding hops attenuation and the effects of boil times on hops, and understanding what yeasts produce what flavors and the importance of the right temperature of fermentation to different yeasts.

It's hard to make a bad beer if everything's sterile.

But it's easy to make a bad mead, as the sugar contents of honeys (even from the same apiary) can vary from year to year, which can make the acid balances difficult, and of course, the darker the honey you use, the longer the aging time (some honeys from buckwheat of such honeys take 8 or more years to age up :eek: ). Methelglyns (or Metheglyns), in my opinion, tend to do better because of the sheer amount of additives that go into the wort; essentially there you (at least somewhat) balance the acids, and even it that's not perfect, you cover up the medicine-y flavors with the herbs.

It's entirely possible that MattShizzle has never encountered a good mead. Some of the "meads" that I've tried have been simply and apple or grape wine with a whole bunch of honey added at the end of fermentation. :dontknow:

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 12:48 
'Lustrous Potentate

I made mead once, with a Mr. Beer kit. It was pretty damned good. I probably got lucky.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 10:44 
First Circle Initiate

Ginger mead?

I wants me some o' dat!! How much you want for a bottle? :D

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 12:08 

Worldtraveller wrote:
Ginger mead?

I wants me some o' dat!! How much you want for a bottle? :D

Well ...

My keg is about to run dry, so I'll have to make a new batch. And, I don't think I can send it USPS ... But if you want to swing by and pick some up in 5 or 6 months ... :D

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 13:07 
Grand Poobah

dug_down_deep wrote:
I made mead once, with a Mr. Beer kit. It was pretty damned good. I probably got lucky.

Kits are great--- they take the work out of it!

It was probably a good kit.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 11:28 
'Lustrous Potentate

The only benefit of the kit was that it already had the venting mechanism. Other than that, it was just a plastic jug with a tap. I think I is a good cook. :cool:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 11:39 
Grand Poobah

It probably had the right balance.

You should brew. It's fun.