The Round Table (Rational Pagans Forum)

Science & The Supernatural: A Discussion of the World Around us - Based on Science with an Interest in the Supernatural ...
It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 10:48

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 10:52 
Grand Poobah

Thank you.

Yes, we try to be more ... reasonable in our claims here. ;)

CuriousAtheist, what is your definition of compassion?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 15:18 
Yes, I agree, a good definition on compassion would be needed.

dictionary suggests:

Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it.
See Synonyms at pity.

[Middle English compassioun, from Late Latin compassi, compassin-, from compassus, past participle of compat, to sympathize : Latin com-, com- + Latin pat, to suffer; see p(i)- in Indo-European roots.]

compassion
Noun
a feeling of distress and pity for the suffering or misfortune of another [Latin com- with + pati to suffer]

I guess that is how most people use it. But you never know with words. Everybody has their own definition sometimes.

I guess that I can accept this definition.

" Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it. "

What I fail to get is how the Buddhist Buddha Nature seen as the ultimate reality could have compassion and still be compatible with naturalism.

Maybe if one make a metaphoric interpretation but then why would one make use of buddhist ideas at all.

The reason me got interested in Amida Jodo Shinshu Buddhism was that they had same experience like I have had 1983 and still have today and some 800 years ago a guy named Shinran tried to interpret the much older texts from 500 CE to find a solution to his problem, same problem as I have.

He came up with faith in the vow of Amida to have compassion for us.

modern interpretation of Amida is that it is just a symbol for Buddha Nature and they claim that all of us have it that Buddha Nature is our true self and that the self we think we have is an illusion.

To me that is not the naturalism I want to support, to me it is pure woo woo.

But I need to find something that works for me and that Shinran had same problem as me and he use the word compassion if the translation gets it right.

Just to explain what motivates me.